ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What's your Programming Language?

<< < (11/17) > >>

jgpaiva:
My favorite programming language is Java.-jeremejazz (November 13, 2009, 09:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oh God why?  ;D

It's a bit like C/C++ in many ways.-jeremejazz (November 13, 2009, 09:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
... except that you can write efficient and fast code in C++.
-Tuxman (November 14, 2009, 06:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
You'd be surprised how having one thread dedicated to code optimization (speculative execution, caching of frequent objects and stuff like that) can help the performance of your code ;)
During a project for university, a friend of mine has tested C vs Java for dynamic function calls, memory allocation (and access) and native function calls. C only got the best results for native function calls.
I'm not a hardcore fan of Java, but I've been using C++ for work for the last year and a half, and I have already regretted quite a few times not having selected Java for the project.

Tuxman:
Java might have a garbage collector, but its major disadvantage is that you just can't collect garbage yourself, so it tends to memory hogs of a quite notable amount.

jgpaiva:
Java might have a garbage collector, but its major disadvantage is that you just can't collect garbage yourself, so it tends to memory hogs of a quite notable amount.
-Tuxman (November 14, 2009, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
That does not mean that you can't write "efficient and fast code" in Java, it just means that it may use more memory. On the other hand, the JVM can do stuff like copy-on-write, which may even cause a lower memory usage than a C++ program.

Tuxman:
it just means that it may use more memory-jgpaiva (November 14, 2009, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's what I call inefficient.

jgpaiva:
it just means that it may use more memory-jgpaiva (November 14, 2009, 12:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's what I call inefficient.
-Tuxman (November 14, 2009, 12:54 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm, since Java *may* use less memory than C++, and *may* run faster than C++, does that mean C++ is also an inefficient and slow language?
Or better yet, as Assembly is always faster and uses less memory than both C++ or Java, does it make both languages inefficient and slow?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version