ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

What's your Programming Language?

(1/17) > >>

jeremejazz:
So, I just want to know, what is your most preferred language. This is just to find out which is the most preferred ;)

bgd77:
I really like C (I started to like it after I understood it).  :D

At work I use Perl, which is also nice.

CWuestefeld:
My primary tools these days are SQL and C#.

I find that SQL is a royal pain in the butt, especially using MS's extensions to it in SQL Server for writing stored procedures. Pain that it is, it's still the most effective tool available for this kind of work.

I grew up with C and changed to C++. The subtleties there are just horrific. When I did technical interviews for C++ developers, I'd always ask them to rate their skills 0-10. Anyone who said 9 or 10, I'd immediately assume they were lying. From this I dabbled in Java, but found it didn't live up to the hype.

I did a lot of work in VB 5 and 6 - not that I think these are good languages, but it was a great platform for building COM/ActiveX applications. Accomplishing that in C++ was like root canal.

But then Microsoft came out with .Net. And C# captured almost everything that was good about C++ and Java, and added some niceties of its own. So that's where I mostly am for application development today.

However, over the past year, I've been dabbling in Python. I find it easy and elegant.

@bgd77 -- I thoroughly agree with your implication about understanding. It's one thing to intellectually accept the technical benefits of something. It's quite another to grok it so that you can effectively leverage that theory.

housetier:
python, php, erlang, shell scripts, javascript

Tuxman:
I love it when the first postings in topics about a programming language contain bullshit about scripting languages...

But OK, I'll append mine then:

My favorite programming language is C++.
Java and C# are sluggish, resource hogging nonsense to me, while Delphi (which I actually like because it doesn't need a framework of any kind) is not a part of my knowledge...

Shorties:
My favorite description language is HTML with all needed extensions.
My favorite general scripting language is PHP, because I just don't know Perl and Python...
My favorite application scripting language depends. I know a few of them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version