topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:04 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Minefield(Firefox) 3.7Pre seems to work  (Read 25964 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Minefield(Firefox) 3.7Pre seems to work
« on: October 25, 2009, 06:34 PM »
Hmmmmmmm I'm trying the Oct. 25 Minefield 3.7Pre I downloaded from nightly builds:
http://ftp.mozilla.o...ightly/latest-trunk/

and it seems to work with my AddOns(with version checking disabled of course.)

So far the only thing I see new is Windows 7 Jump List support.  The browser itself doesn't seem any faster than 3.6 beta.

I haven't seen anything flaky yet so I'll leave it on W7 for a bit.
Maybe I'll even use one of those Jump List thingies if I remember they are there. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Minefield(Firefox) 3.7Pre seems to work
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 09:06 PM »
btw it doesn't have the promised super glass effects.  However if you apply Glasser to the default theme it doesn't look half bad.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 05:36 PM »
I've just installed it over existing 3.5 and only 5 out of 10 extensions work.

-HP Home
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 07:36 PM by dantheman »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 10:02 PM »
Just installed over my Portable version and all extensions work after version override.

LavaFox for the theme here.

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 04:25 AM »
Did i miss something on this "version override"?
Is it not when you install from Mozilla's add-ons section or is it something you do in "about:config"?

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 09:52 AM »
There probably is in "about:config" but I've had the Nightly Tester Tools installed for so long that I wouldn't know.

NTT adds a button to the Addon window that lets you override all compatibility checking for addons and themes.

greenshot_2009-10-28_01-59-47.jpgMinefield(Firefox) 3.7Pre seems to work
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:01 AM by 4wd »

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 12:19 PM »
4wd,

Wonderbar! 10 out of 10!   

Thanks! :Thmbsup:

Now if i could find one that does it to Thunderbird too...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 12:39 PM »
Mr Tech Toolkit is for Mozilla not merely for Firefox. It will not >override all compatibility checking< but will 'try' to make the extension useable for your version. And usually does.

http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 12:42 PM by Curt »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Now if i could find one that does it to Thunderbird too...

Ask and ye shall receive...and all that jazz.

https://addons.mozil...underbird/addon/6543

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Now if only t-bird 3.0 would get out of its never-ending beta cycle!

dantheman

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Be good if you can!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 02:52 PM »
Woonderbar again!

Thanks Innuendo!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 03:27 PM »
btw if any of you like to use AutoCopy AddOn, I use it in both the browser and Thunderbird, it seems often in the upgrade cycle that the latest one may not work, but one version old is smooth.  At least it's happened to me a few times.  If you can't get it to go even with the version override, try one or two versions back in the chain.  When I'm notified AutoCopy has a new version available I never do the update.  Seems more often than not it breaks it.

As you go along there seem to be "milestone" updates that work and you gradually get closer to current. That's been my experience with it anyway. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Hmmmmmm, having just looked in Task Manager it looks like Minefield isn't such a pig on 32 bit Windows Seven, but on Vista64 with the same pages open it uses about 1 1/2 times the working set as 3.6 beta.  Not ready for prime time.  Looking up the features supposedly at some point 3.7 will get plug-ins like Flash into another process space so that they don't crash Firefox when they have a problem.

It will be interesting to see what shakes out.  On Vista64 though, there's no jump list or any speed increase I can see that would justify running it.  Don't know if the plug-in insulation is active yet.  The "official" 3.6 beta is supposed to be released tomorrow(Wed. Oct 28) from what I see online.  I may give it a twirl on Vista64.

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 02:19 AM »
Doesn't Minefield have taskbar previews for each tab on Windows 7 (like IE)? I tried it out some time ago and now I can't remember if it was builtin or not. I'm running 3.6 beta right now and am happy with it, I didin't see any speed improvements in Minefield and it was unstable on my pc.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 03:22 PM »
Speaking of 3.6 beta, the latest was supposed to be available for download today.  I don't see it anywhere.  Newest I can find is Oct. 19 build.

Anything in the Minefield nightly builds you have to try day by day until you find a good one.  Then hold onto that installer.  If you update and it's sour, regress to the good build.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 04:33 PM »
For some reason the Oct. 29 build Firefox 3.6 beta is still called "3.6 beta 1" so I guess we now have betas of betas.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Well, 3.6 Beta 2 is out...though I don't know what that has to do with the mention of 3.7pre in the OP. Are they the same thing?

Anyway, Mozilla wants people to uninstall the Nightly Tester Tools & instead use the new Add-on Compatibility Reporter. It fulfills the same function as Nightly Tester Tools, but adds functionality that lets you report misbehaving add-ons.

I've heard that in beta 2 they have really worked on the responsiveness of the GUI so I took a chance and installed it. I'm really enjoying it so far. All my extensions work so far thanks to the Reporter add-on & the GUI is more responsive...everything seems more responsive. The only thing that doesn't seem to consistently work right that I've noticed so far is the little taskbar thumbnails in Windows 7. Sometimes you just get the little spinning circle & no preview ever comes up.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2009, 11:31 AM »
Well, Firefox 3.6 Beta 4 is out & they have come a long way since beta 2. I had to stop using 3.6 a short while after my last post as GreaseMonkey wasn't compatible & I missed it too much. Happily, a new version of GreaseMonkey was released a bit ago & it is now 3.6-compatible.

Even the little taskbar thumbnails seem to be behaving so far. I'll update here if things should go to heck in a hand basket.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 06:41 PM »
What have you noticed since beta 2?  I'm just curious.  Any 3.6 beta after 2 kills off about half my AddOns.  Looks like I'll stick with beta 2 until 3.6 final comes out, unless 3.7 comes out with something great.  So far 3.7Pre does the same thing.  I don't notice any difference other than that it won't take my themes and half my AddOns, be it 3.7 or 3.6 newer than 3.6 beta 2.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2009, 05:23 PM »
What have you noticed since beta 2?  I'm just curious.

Like I said, the taskbar preview is now working 100% now in Windows 7. No more endless progress 'circles'. With the add-on compatibility reporter everything seems to work except DragIt. I'll have to come up with a temporary solution till DragIt is updated.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2009, 06:43 PM »
Weird.  Minefield 3.6Pre most of my add ons worked through nearly all the builds.  Now it's the opposite.  Only one build out of dozens will work and I have to stick with that one.  Even a beta release gives no clue.  It's strictly trial and error.

afa the taskbar preview feature on 7, I increased the mouse hover time so that it won't pop up.  To me it's just something that gets in the way.  I don't leave programs running minimized anyway unless they are minimized to tray to work in the background.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:51 PM by MilesAhead »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2009, 11:09 PM »
Weird.  Minefield 3.6Pre most of my add ons worked through nearly all the builds.  Now it's the opposite.  Only one build out of dozens will work and I have to stick with that one.  Even a beta release gives no clue.  It's strictly trial and error.

Now that is weird...because I have 44 extensions installed. Only DragIt has given me trouble thus far. I haven't had time to test them all yet, though.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2009, 01:46 PM »
With mine, the extensions that have a button in the status bar, the button won't be there.  When I open the AddOns window, almost all have the '!' and the options are grayed out.  Strange.  I tried using FEBE to reload individual and groups of AddOns and it makes no difference.

Bizarre I must say.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 10:46 AM »
Have you tried installing the Add-on Compatibility Reporter, Miles?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 03:32 PM »
I think they must be doing something in the beta code.  If it was the AddOns themselves I don't see how they could not work for a bunch of daily builds, then all of a sudden they all work again on the same new build.  There must be some code they are disabling, then enabling for some reason.  I have version checking off in about:config and also use Mr Tech Toolkit.

Doesn't make sense all AddOns would break and fix at the same time. It has to be FF build code.  Maybe they use some compile option on milestone builds or something.

Whatever it is, so far other than Windows7 Jump List, I haven't seen a single new feature in 3.7pre anyway.  So there's no impetus to use it.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 03:34 PM by MilesAhead »