topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: wanted: simple, stable bittorrent client for windows  (Read 32596 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wanted: simple, stable bittorrent client for windows
« on: October 25, 2009, 03:29 PM »
I often download large files, like iso images, via FTP that are also available via bittorrent. Things like linux distros and such. I have an virtual machine with Windows XP that runs for the sole purpose of doing things like downloading large files, uploading large files, compressing archives, synchronizing directories, etc. I would like to add a simple and stable bittorrent client to it so it can also grab (and share) stuff in the background.

I've heard of µTorrent, but hear that it "cheats" (which I don't want to do) and the original BitTorrent, but I hear that it has commercial crapware embedded (if it does, I don't want it) and Vuze/Azuerus, but I don't want to install Java just for that.

I don't do much torrenting, so nothing elaborate and feature rich is required (but is not a reason to not use it if it's good).

Whatall to youall suggest?

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: wanted: simple, stable bittorrent client for windows
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 03:34 PM »
I've heard of µTorrent, but hear that it "cheats" (which I don't want to do)

Hmmm...are you certain it was uTorrent and not BitComet?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 03:37 PM »
I just use one of the Opera torrent widgets. I'm not on my own computer at the moment, so can't post a link to the one I use, but later today will check and post it here. At any rate, it's been great! I tried using whatever Vuze (formerly Azeurus), but didn't like it.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 05:15 PM »
In what way is µTorrent supposed to cheat? I'm very happy with it as my torrent client, and it's a client that's recommended on certain torrent sites as well. Not that I know much about this sort of technology except µTorrent works for me :-[

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 05:34 PM »
The private trackers I know only recommend two clients, Azureus and µTorrent, so I'm sure µTorrent doesn't cheat, otherwise it would be banned.

µTorrent is my main recommendation. It never failed to me, even with a bunch of torrents going at the same time. Plus it has some other niceties that may be interesting to you, like the RSS Downloader, indispensable for certain "recursive" jobs :-P

The other client worth recommending is Halite, by DC's own Eóin. It has less bells and whistles, but it retains most of the functionality, including torrent stats ;D

Maybe Deluge might catch your eye as well, although it looked like crap under Windows last time I used it. Azureus is bloated to no end, with tons of things you probably won't need. Plus it's written in Java. Opera would be the ultimate no frills torrent client, but I don't know how it performs with more than one torrent being downloaded. Finally, there are a few extensions for Firefox that add BitTorrent support, as some download managers that support the protocol, like FlashGet or Free Download Manager.

And there's no much else, frankly, the market for pure BitTorrent clients in Windows is a small one, most clients have not been updated in years, or have serious problems, either they cheat or they are stuffed with spyware.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 06:33 PM by Lashiec »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 05:49 PM »
(Ewwww, BT crap...)

µTorrent is rather bloated, compared to other clients.
+1 for Halite.

Deluge also seems to be fine, but I haven't ever managed to make it work here.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 06:03 PM »
uTorrent works fine here. Simple to use - just install and go. Works well with PNP capable routers without the need for setting up rules to open ports.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 06:09 PM »
utorrent? bloated? How?

+1 for utorrent. Fast, small, stable and easy to use. I know it does not cheat because the second I adjust my upload rate my download rate gets exponentially better.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 06:12 PM »
It's µ, not u. And did you compare it to Halite? Much more stuff in it. "Bloated".
Additionally, µTorrent is known for unfair behavior...

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 06:14 PM »
For casual use, and when I'm in Opera already, I find it perfectly OK.
Otherwise, I use µTorrent. Never had a problem with it.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 06:16 PM »
Yes Yes, that is the right title. I was just lazy and didn't feel like bringing up charmap.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 06:19 PM »
Then "mTorrent" would be (almost) right.  :P

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 06:20 PM »
Plus, the installer places the program in the uTorrent Folder so I guess I am right too ;-)

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009, 06:21 PM »
Yes Yes, that is the right title. I was just lazy and didn't feel like bringing up charmap.

Alt + 0181 ;)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Plus, the installer places the program in the uTorrent Folder so I guess I am right too ;-)
These guys are not even able to spell their own software's name. You see?

Ehtyar

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 06:23 PM »
+1 for uTorrent. Can we please not use the word "bloat" when referring to software that comes as a single executable with only features pertaining to the programs primary purpose, no matter how abundant those may be?

Stop using uPNP please people (I'd rather not hijack this thread, so hopefully this simple example will be enough).

Tuxman, nice of you to recommend a client that you've never been able to get working whilst criticizing what is so far the most highly recommended client, then to criticize our use of the word "uTorrent", without providing the keystroke to type it correctly, whilst completely disregarding the fact that the use of "uTorrent" is more common than "µTorrent" precisely due to the complexity involved in typing it. Thanks for all your help in this thread...

Ehtyar.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 06:33 PM »
Tuxman, nice of you to recommend a client that you've never been able to get working
I didn't recommend Deluge, I said "looks nice". :P
Halite works for me.

whilst criticizing what is so far the most highly recommended client
That doesn't mean it is the best client either, see my comment about its behavior above...

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 07:41 PM »
RE: µtorrent cheating: I remember reading a bunch of complaints that it manipulates something to make it get stuff faster than other clients. I don't remember the details, that's why I through it out for comment. Maybe it doesn't do that anymore. I'm not sure if µtorrent was the one.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 07:42 PM »
Bit Comet was well known for bypassing the "ratios" put in place by most trackers.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 07:42 PM »
tinjaw:
Yep, it was.

Josh:
AFAIK this has been removed in recent versions?

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 07:46 PM »
Might have been, might not have. I do know that several private trackers I use ban the users of bitcomet.

Kamel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 07:54 PM »
I'm not one to follow the main stream sometimes, and this is definitely one of those times.

I find that utorrent not only lacks some features I love, but it also has much less respect for the connection settings I set, in some conditions causing poor internet performance, and even crashing routers despite extremely limiting connection settings (100 connections global max).

If that seems to be your experience with utorrent, I'd highly recommend using deluge. This program has a seperated interface and daemon, along with internet tracking so that you can log in directly to the program from a remote location and add torrents, or manage your client however you see fit. All over a lightweight http interface.

That is why deluge gets my recommendation when it comes to bit torrent clients (no matter the platform). There are atleast a gazillion clients out there, so I'm sure you wont have any trouble finding one that suits your needs.
I'm the guy you yell at when your DSL goes down...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2009, 07:55 PM »
On those very rare occasions I need to do a torrent download, I'll just use the torrent feature in Free Download Manager (www.freedownloadmanager.org) which is my Win D/L tool of choice for everything else.

Note: I'm not a big torrent freak so I don't need to keep a separate client on hand just to do that. Your needs may be different.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 07:57 PM by 40hz »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2009, 08:26 PM »
I find that utorrent not only lacks some features I love, but it also has much less respect for the connection settings I set, in some conditions causing poor internet performance, and even crashing routers despite extremely limiting connection settings (100 connections global max).

µTorrent also did that on my router but it's not just the number of connections that is the problem - it's also how fast they're made.

My router was resetting every few hours using µTorrent no matter what connection limit I used until I changed two Advanced values - since then, not one µTorrent related router reset.

bt.connect_speed = 8
net.max_halfopen = 4

All of which is mentioned in the TroubleShooting section here.

+1 for µTorrent.  It runs 24/7 here but TBH, it's speed isn't that important to me since my main source of material is newsgroups.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2009, 08:49 PM »
I'm a µTorrent fan as well, have been since the beginning. As one of the best and most popular clients, it will naturally have its detractors, people who claim it cheats, or that it has spyware since it was bought by the Bittorrent people (that should give you a clue right there how good it is) and the Bittorrent people have a legal deal with the MPAA. So far as I've seen most, if not all of these claims have been unsubstantiated, or at the very least exaggerated. µTorrent is fast, stable, it has all the right features (for me), none of the ones I don't need, and it's about as far from bloated as any app comes these days, as a single stand-alone EXE well below 1MB.

- Oshyan