topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 9:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I bought IBasic Pro,but i don't know how to program,need a jump off point.  (Read 4676 times)

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I bought IBasic Pro during that holiday discount cause it looked beefy and was dirt cheap and the new years resolution i made to my self that i would create an application this year.

I can wing things like NSIS installer, i used to tap around and make batch files,yeah i know this isn't programming,but
i know there's something there.I see these apps here and at cockos.com and nullsoft,these itty bitty apps and i
know i can create something ,i just need a jump off point.

I'd like to create a download manager,or a very simple email checker and slap my freakin name on it.
Someone help.

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Have you checked the IBasic Forums? Read The Fine Manual? Did your installation come with code examples, snippets, etc.? With any language, Start out with the simple "Hello World" app that every manual teaches you to do, and go from there. In the cases of Download Managers and email checkers, you not only have to learn how to make the app perform functions depending on what buttons you click, keys you push, etc. but you also need to learn the language of internet protocols, email server authentications and header requests, etc. Back in the day, you could even check your mail with telnet if you knew this (don't ask me how, I did it once when my ISP's tech was troubleshooting our email system...) I'm not an IBasic user, so I'm sorry I don't have any really helpful answers, but there it is.

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
I do program with IBasic, and I'll assure you that there are plenty of great forum members who will answer your questions.  They'll give you guidance, the grunt work is still for you to do.

Look forward to seeing you there!
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for input all,how long have you been programming with it mrainey?

mrainey

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Website
    • Donate to Member
I started with the Standard version almost four years ago, then moved up to Pro when it came out.  I'm not a hardcore programmer, but have gotten some nice programs done with both versions, including one that's starting to make me a few dollars.

There are some very savvy people at the forum.  It's a friendly and supportive place to hang out and ask questions, much like DonationCoder but not nearly as busy.
Software For Metalworking
http://closetolerancesoftware.com