topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: mapping media keys on old keyboard  (Read 4477 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
mapping media keys on old keyboard
« on: October 24, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Recently my logitech wireless keyboard died on me, so I had to get a different one, but rather than buy a new one, I just found an old compaq keyboard that came with an old xp home edition computer. the compaq kb-0133.
media keys.JPGmapping media keys on old keyboard
These are the media keys that are on the top of it
keyboard.JPGmapping media keys on old keyboard
I can't find any drivers for the media keys, and I don't know what the physical name of the keys are, so I can't map them in the registry.
I used to have the media keys on my logitech keyboard mapped to auto hotkey shortcuts, but since I don't know the name of the keys on this keyboard, I can't do that.
When I push the keys, nothing happens. I do know however, that windows (xp x64) knows that the keys are there, because I was playing Assassin's Creed, and during one of the cut scenes, I got bored, so I started to push the media keys randomly. This caused the camera angle to change.

So what I am wondering is if anyone knows how I can get these keys to work to my advantage under windows xp 64 bit?

edit:sorry about the craptacular images. (I can't seem to hold a camera still right now)

edit2: Autohotkey rocks! I just found out how to use the keyboard hook to figure out what the keys are. I have successfully mapped the key all teh way to the left to make a message box pop up. I just have to use SC### for the keys. EX. the left most key is SC123.
[Insert really cool signature here]
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:29 PM by nite_monkey »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: mapping media keys on old keyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 11:04 AM »
edit2: Autohotkey rocks! I just found out how to use the keyboard hook to figure out what the keys are. I have successfully mapped the key all teh way to the left to make a message box pop up. I just have to use SC### for the keys. EX. the left most key is SC123.

I'm glad you found a solution because most of those old OEM keyboards with media keys don't follow any sort of standards like modern keyboards do so you were either reliant on the proprietary OEM keyboard drivers or you just did without. Glad you thought outside the box enough to outsmart the problem.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: mapping media keys on old keyboard
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 06:20 PM »
I would have never thought to do it had I not gotten bored during assassin's creed cut-scenes. lol, I finally found a use for them
[Insert really cool signature here]