ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Putting All My (Legally Obtained) Music Online

(1/5) > >>

tinjaw:
I've decided that I want to put all of my music files online. I am aware of humyo.com and MediaFire but have no experience with them. Has anybody used these services for long enough to have an opinion? What other similar services are there?

I am looking for a online jukebox that I can access anywhere.

Josh:
Why not host from your home computer using something like tversity (except not for videos)? I believe itunes offers remote play capabilities now too. Or is this not the type of solution you are looking for?

app103:
LaLa.com allows you to upload your collection of mp3's and then stream them from anywhere, for free.

If you use their software to upload your music, for the more mainstream stuff they have license to sell, it's rather quick, because they match your collection against what they carry, and if they have it, they just add it to your account immediately. Anything they don't have, they make you actually upload. (make sure your collection is properly tagged!)

They do have individual file size limits, both minimum & maximum. They do not have any limits to the total amount you can have in your account, though.

It's kind of "one way" though. You can upload it, but you can not download it again later. So this isn't for file backup purposes.

It's good for streaming your collection when you are away from home, without taking the collection with you. Their online player for streaming is quite nice. You just log in and keep it open on a tab of your browser and you can listen all day, every day.

It's also a last.fm style social network, where you can follow other people (I don't). And supports scrobbling what you play to last.fm.

For music you do not own already, you can purchase "perpetual" streaming rights for around $0.10 per song. And if you decide later to buy the mp3, they will credit you the $0.10 you already paid, off the price of the mp3. They even start you out with 50 free songs when you sign up (streaming only) and the first stream of any song they have is free, so you can preview it and decide if it's worth paying to hear it again.

tinjaw:
@app103
lala looks interesting. I signed up.

@josh
I'm looking into using Jinzora on one of my servers. The problem is that it becomes one more application that I have to administer. I'd rather use a web service and not have to deal with the sysadmin part.

Josh:
Looking at jinzora now! Thanks for the tip. Trying to setup a standalone computer system myself which has no keyboard, mouse or monitor, just remote controlled.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version