topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Putting All My (Legally Obtained) Music Online  (Read 30653 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Putting All My (Legally Obtained) Music Online
« on: October 24, 2009, 08:35 AM »
I've decided that I want to put all of my music files online. I am aware of humyo.com and MediaFire but have no experience with them. Has anybody used these services for long enough to have an opinion? What other similar services are there?

I am looking for a online jukebox that I can access anywhere.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Putting All My (Legally Obtained) Music Online
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 08:38 AM »
Why not host from your home computer using something like tversity (except not for videos)? I believe itunes offers remote play capabilities now too. Or is this not the type of solution you are looking for?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 09:04 AM »
LaLa.com allows you to upload your collection of mp3's and then stream them from anywhere, for free.

If you use their software to upload your music, for the more mainstream stuff they have license to sell, it's rather quick, because they match your collection against what they carry, and if they have it, they just add it to your account immediately. Anything they don't have, they make you actually upload. (make sure your collection is properly tagged!)

They do have individual file size limits, both minimum & maximum. They do not have any limits to the total amount you can have in your account, though.

It's kind of "one way" though. You can upload it, but you can not download it again later. So this isn't for file backup purposes.

It's good for streaming your collection when you are away from home, without taking the collection with you. Their online player for streaming is quite nice. You just log in and keep it open on a tab of your browser and you can listen all day, every day.

It's also a last.fm style social network, where you can follow other people (I don't). And supports scrobbling what you play to last.fm.

For music you do not own already, you can purchase "perpetual" streaming rights for around $0.10 per song. And if you decide later to buy the mp3, they will credit you the $0.10 you already paid, off the price of the mp3. They even start you out with 50 free songs when you sign up (streaming only) and the first stream of any song they have is free, so you can preview it and decide if it's worth paying to hear it again.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 09:58 AM »
@app103
lala looks interesting. I signed up.

@josh
I'm looking into using Jinzora on one of my servers. The problem is that it becomes one more application that I have to administer. I'd rather use a web service and not have to deal with the sysadmin part.

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 10:23 AM »
Looking at jinzora now! Thanks for the tip. Trying to setup a standalone computer system myself which has no keyboard, mouse or monitor, just remote controlled.

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 10:27 AM »
@LaLa: As usual, United States only :(

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 02:25 PM »
@josh
I'm looking into using Jinzora on one of my servers. The problem is that it becomes one more application that I have to administer. I'd rather use a web service and not have to deal with the sysadmin part.

Has been mentioned before in a thread here, HFS running on one of your servers - minimal resources and easily administered.

HFS running the Thunderchicken of Glory, it has integrated player app, (audio/video), so it'll work with any browser:

greenshot_2009-10-25_06-28-51.jpgPutting All My (Legally Obtained) Music Online
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:45 PM by 4wd »

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 05:11 PM »
I have had an incredible experience with Orb, which allows me to stream to my PDA, my laptop, and just about any device with an Internet connection and media player of some sort.  I was even able to stream music/video to my daughter's LG Xenon before we switched phones. You can access almost anything you want on your computer, and stream all video formats, and even access online video services such as Youtube, Google video, and more.  You can access your documents and more. Honestly, I could go on and on, there are so many features.  It even has a file browser.

The screen shots below are from Orb running on my computer, streaming to my PDA.  1 and 2 are from Pocket IE, the mobile interface.  3 and 4 are from Opera running on my PDA, and are the full interface.  There are more interfaces available, including a media center interface.

No need to upload, and it is pretty much just run and forget.

Give it a try, it is absolutely free.

http://www.orb.com

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 05:35 PM »
- why is Orb free? What's the catch?

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2009, 06:16 PM »
You know, I really have no idea.  I have used it since 2006 or 2007, and I am in no way affiliated with them.  It has been a flawless experience...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 01:49 PM »
- Wow! I remember when I first saw their offer last year or whenever, that I didn't quite understand the purpose, but also that I assumed that I would have to sign up for an account or something; so I didn't even check or test! [embarrassed red face]
Your experience is a nice surprise to me! ;-)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 03:07 AM »
You know, I really have no idea.  I have used it since 2006 or 2007, and I am in no way affiliated with them.  It has been a flawless experience...

I beta tested Orb way back when they first released a beta. I remember that at one point it started eating up CPU a lot more than usual. Then I found that they were trying out a "shared resources" model, where "power bandwidth" machines - meaning people with very high-speed connections - were being used as servers, similar to what Skype was surreptitiously doing at one point. I ditched it then. Don't know if they stuck with that or not.

Jim

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 07:39 AM »
They must not have gone with it, even if it was in fact implemented.  I never saw it and I have used it since 2006.  The only time it connects to anything is when I stream music to my device or when it checks for updates.  I have never seen it upload without me expressly connecting to it and starting to play music or videos.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 11:02 PM »
Cool - I just went to the site and logged in. It has been so long I didn't know whether or not my login creds would still be valid.

Jim

IQLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • created in PS 4
    • View Profile
    • Lbry
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 12:26 AM »
Well I had a look @ Lala.com - that is useless for me since it seems 2 B for US-users only  >:(

Does anyone please know of a service where I can upload my Music, organize it in Playlist & than embed
these playlists in any webpage (I Used Deezer.com & Media Master before) but they made too many changes (Deezer)
and Media Master shut down, so the become useless 4 me too.

I have a radio-blog kind of  a site where I want to embed my music,

Thanx!

deliriumservers

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2009, 06:03 PM »
I personally use JukeFly which has worked very well for me.  It runs a very small server that indexes your files (windows) and going to jukefly.com and logging in gives you a nice flash interface to all your files.  I personally like their older GUIs that didn't have all the youtube add ins and such, but it generally works well. I use it since my music collection is larger than my laptop's tiny hard drive.  Their was talk of a mobile app for windows mobile or android but I never saw anything come of it.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 03:11 AM »
Anything they don't have, they make you actually upload. (make sure your collection is properly tagged!)

Unfortunately LaLa will still sometimes match a properly tagged file with something totally unrelated.

I like to listen to video game soundtracks and I had one song with the title simply of "Snow" and LaLa matched it with a song from Snow White. I've had others match with songs that are completely unrelated and have no words or anything in common with the song it was matched to except it is the same track number on the album. :-\

It's kind of frustrating when you go to listen to a song you love and some random stupid garbage track you never heard of and never want to hear starts playing. >:( Though I must admit I have gotten one good song I'd never heard before out of this common mismatching problem. :Thmbsup:

I e-mailed them about it and they just kind of said "Yeah, it does that sometimes. We're working on improving it but there's nothing you can do now to get the correct song uploaded."

And other times it will match a song to the wrong album. For example, sometimes it will match to a Single or if the artist has the same song on multiple albums, it will match the wrong album.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:15 AM by Deozaan »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Well there is a way to force lala to accept your copy of the file for your library, but it involves completely changing the tags to something that does not exist (make up totally random stuff for artist-title-album) and doing a manual upload, one track at a time when you catch one that they messed up on.

After it is uploaded and in your library, edit it again to change it to what it should be.

I had to do this for a few live tracks that lala kept shoving the studio version in my library.

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 07:49 AM »
Here is an idea.  Install Winamp, with Winamp remote. Winamp Remote is just a scaled down version of Orb, without all the other stuff.  You can browse and play music, videos, and pictures, and it also works with my PS3.  I removed Orb and went with it.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 08:05 AM »
I've been using lala.com for a while now and I like it. And their business model works on me. I have already purchased music from them because it is so easy to do so.

Having said that though, my music wasn't well organized before I pushed it to lala and lala didn't improve things any. I purchased software months ago to organize my music once and for all, but despite several good starts I haven't found the time to organize it all.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 12:08 PM »
Having said that though, my music wasn't well organized before I pushed it to lala and lala didn't improve things any. I purchased software months ago to organize my music once and for all, but despite several good starts I haven't found the time to organize it all.

At the risk of sending this thread off on an unrecoverable tangent what software did you purchase to organize your music?

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2009, 05:01 PM »
I purchased none.  I created sub-folders under My Music, Albums, Soundtracks, Singles.  Then lettered folders under each of those A, B, C....then a sub folder with Artist-Album (Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Show Your Bones) and the tracks are in the folders.  I use MP3Tag to tag and get album art, then name each song Artist-Album-Track #-Title.mp3

"D:\Documents\Music\Albums\Y\Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Show Your Bones\Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones - 01 - Gold Lion.mp3"

It makes music easy to browse and find from remote on my PDA or on the PS3, or even on my Netbook.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 07:50 PM »
I purchased none.  I created sub-folders under My Music, Albums, Soundtracks, Singles.  Then lettered folders under each of those A, B, C....then a sub folder with Artist-Album (Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Show Your Bones) and the tracks are in the folders.  I use MP3Tag to tag and get album art, then name each song Artist-Album-Track #-Title.mp3

"D:\Documents\Music\Albums\Y\Yeah Yeah Yeahs-Show Your Bones\Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Show Your Bones - 01 - Gold Lion.mp3"

I'm still working out my system of how I am going to do things. I'm getting really close to the point where I'm working on minutiae of the system's finer points so I can avoid doing the actual work. :)

y0himba

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Yar.
    • View Profile
    • y0himba.net
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2009, 07:43 AM »
I know that you can use Windows Media Player to automatically organize and add missing data/tags to your collection, I just prefer doing it myself, seems more logical to me.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 09:27 AM »
I know that you can use Windows Media Player to automatically organize and add missing data/tags to your collection, I just prefer doing it myself, seems more logical to me.

Windows Media Player is the devil's work! No, wait...

When working with MP3s, Windows Media Player doesn't understand ID3 v2.4 tags.
When working with FLACs, Windows Media Player doesn't understand FLAC.

Oh, and one last thing, the OCD freak in me goes all Incredible Hulk when it sees Windows Media Player 'pooping' little albumart.jpg files all over my hard drives.