ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your favorite launch bar? Your favorite features? Missing Features?

<< < (20/21) > >>

J-Mac:
But I guess the question is... does it do that now?  And if it doesn't, was that a mistake?  Or do you call something adware even after it doesn't do it?  That's my point... perhaps they made a mistake, honest or not... does that classify things as adware even after it's rectified?
-wraith808 (April 09, 2010, 01:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don’t know that it is rectified, and how would you suggest I find out? Install again? Would you do that with any other software? I doubt it. I won't.

Jim

wraith808:
I'm not suggesting that you do anything... I just thought it rather strange to condemn something to the title of 'Adware' forever based upon a bad decision.  But that's just me... I mean to say that your experience was negative is one thing, but Adware places a distinct negative connotation in the eyes of most users far beyond what the experience seems to warrant IMO.

tranglos:
Fences 0.99 controversy
In response to criticism on its forum, Stardock added a statement informing customers of the additional software bundling and requirements on the Fences website.
--- End quote ---

-J-Mac (April 09, 2010, 11:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry Wikipedia, this part is not true. I have just bought Fences Pro, and saw no information about Impulse before or during purchase. They only give you the download link once you've paid. If it's in small print somewhere, I couldn't see it while making the purchase, and I still can't find it when returning to the product page and going through the purchasing motions, so IF that information is there, it's really hard to find.

And, the Impulse thing isn't just intrusive, it's borken. Trying to register Fences Pro, it tells me the serial or email address is wrong, although both are correct. Stardock have known about this for at least a year, and yet they haven't fixed the issue. I've sent them a really scathing email asking for immediate refund.

(It's the first time I've ever asked for a refund. I refuse to buy Steam games, too, but this is worse - especially that it seems Fences will not even run without Impulse running, too. Is that right, could anyone confirm?)

wraith808:

(It's the first time I've ever asked for a refund. I refuse to buy Steam games, too, but this is worse - especially that it seems Fences will not even run without Impulse running, too. Is that right, could anyone confirm?)

-tranglos (April 20, 2010, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I use Fences (not Pro) and ObjectDock Pro without Impulse running.  I also installed both without having to install Impulse, but that was a while ago (October 2009) so I'm not sure if this has changed.

tranglos:
I use Fences (not Pro) and ObjectDock Pro without Impulse running.  I also installed both without having to install Impulse, but that was a while ago (October 2009) so I'm not sure if this has changed.
-wraith808 (April 20, 2010, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, Fences (not Pro) is still a standalone application. I base my suspicions on this post by IainB:

Unfortunately, Fences is set up so that it will not run unless Stardock Impulse is present and properly starts (presumably before it can issue an Error return). No amount of Autoruns tweaking or deleting of Stardock Impulse seems to alter this ...
-IainB (April 20, 2010, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version