ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's your favorite launch bar? Your favorite features? Missing Features?

<< < (5/21) > >>

mouser:
id love to hear a description of the essential features of tlb that you guys like the most.

Innuendo:
Darwin,
Time for an upgrade! WindowBlinds came out of beta some time ago. You need to install the final v5.0.

mouser,
I'll mull that request over and get back to you.

Darwin:
Innuendo: I purchased the released version of WB 5 at the end of November, but two beta releases subsequent to that have been made available via the Stardock Central program...

Mouser: hmmm.... I think that the MOST important/attractive thing about TLB for me is, as Innuendo has already noted, that it works flawlessly "out of the box" (the aforementioned "show desktop" quibble excepted. Given that I am more likely to hit win-d this is a very minor consideration). In addition, there are about 20 plugins that extend the functionality, many of which are ACTUALLY really useful and well executed. There are calendars, battery monitors, a memory optimizer, to do lists, etc. Finally, and my favourite feature, there is the menu/virtual folders feature. This lets you define a folder to link to and TLB turns it into a navigable menu - you just click on it and select the file you want opened. It's EXTREMELY convenient for me in accessing files relating to my PhD and to work (teaching intro university classes - bonus points to anyone who can figure out what my specialty is from my avatar ;)) quickly and naturally. To contrast this, I've tried using ObjectDock's flyout menus feature to do the same thing and while it LOOKS interesting it's pretty annoying!

Sidenote: I've *just* reinstalled TLB this evening after leaving it off my system while I played around with ObjectBar and the show desktop "thing" seems to have vanished... I can't think what I've changed on my system in the last two weeks that might explain this, which is a pity as I'd like to be able to let the developer know. Sigh... Still, it's early in the installation and if memory serves the behaviour came on gradually.

mouser:
well one idea comes up right away when you combine what darwin and hirudin have mentioned about virtual folders as menus - which would be some sophisticated virtual folder menu support.  like being able to say that a menu should show files from certain directories that meet certain criteria, etc.

jdd:
I live and die by launchers and find them to be incredible time savers once they are set up properly.

I intend to try out some of the programs mentioned in this posting but I have been very pleased with the previously mentioned Free Launch Bar at http://www.freelaunchbar.com/.  One feature that I would like is an ability to more easily store and save the launcher set up so they can be moved to another computer or reinstalled at a later date.

I also use another freeware program called Micro-Sys Launcher 1.46 available at http://www.micro-sys.dk/products/launcher/ .  This is an older program that could use some updating but it has some good features.  I installed before Free Launch Bar and since I spent so much time setting up the launches I couldn’t bear to trash it. 

jdd

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version