ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wanted: Freeware (commercial use allowed) Anti-Virus Tool For Small LAN

<< < (3/3)

Shades:
Avira has a nice (but not free) solution for your setup and management requirements. Their license is cross platform (Linux/UNIX included) so you can protect your Linux box as well and make sure that bad software/internet packages are intercepted at the gateway instead of landing at your .

As a happy Avira user with a big aversion towards anything Symantec/Norton/McAfee related, I could not pass up the opportunity giving you the link above. You will find other links to more specific solutions if you so desire. With more than 5 users they are even giving you a 30% savings deal.

Sorry if all of the above sounds too much like a commercial. Rest assured there's no affiliation of any kind going on, just a happy user.

EDIT:
just read the comment from 40Hz. Untangle seems also a very nice product. Definitely something I will look further into. Thanks 40Hz  :Thmbsup:

Innuendo:
And thanks for reminding me about Microsoft's new AV product. I had forgotten about it.
-tinjaw (October 24, 2009, 06:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just check the EULA very carefully. I wouldn't be surprised if MS would insist that in your situation their corporate product be used.

40hz:
And thanks for reminding me about Microsoft's new AV product. I had forgotten about it.
-tinjaw (October 24, 2009, 06:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just check the EULA very carefully. I wouldn't be surprised if MS would insist that in your situation their corporate product be used.
-Innuendo (October 24, 2009, 09:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Innuendo makes an excellent point. Always read the EULA.

Last time I checked, Microsoft was saying any licensed user of Windows XP, Vista, 7, or Server 2003, is licensed to use Windows Defender free of charge. (They use Genuine Advantage to verify you have a legitimate copy BTW.)

Since there aren't separate licenses for business use of any Microsoft OS, I would surmise business use of Defender is also covered by those terms.

I don't think we'll need to worry too much however. Microsoft is more concerned with doing everything they can to make Win7 successful and get beyond the (not always justifiable) negative opinions surrounding Vista. I doubt they're going to do anything to rock that boat. Even Ballmer isn't that stupid.

Still, Microsoft does move quickly and unexpectedly when it comes to EULA rewrites so maybe I'd better go check it again... :tellme:

app103:
Someone on friendfeed gave me this info to pass on to you:

FortiClient Endpoint Security Suite

http://www.forticlient.com/standard.html

The standard version is free and OK for commercial use (actually better than ok, it is intended for commercial use).

tinjaw:
(For an unrelated reason) I decided to take a look at what Comodo was up to lately, and found an Antivirus/Firewall product that is centrally managed and free for up to five computers.

Why Use Comodo Endpoint Security Manager?

Comodo Endpoint Security Manager (CESM) provides maximum IT security with minimum IT expense. CESM allows you to centrally and remotely manage the desktop security of dozens to thousands of networked PC's. CESM includes Comodo's award winning firewall and antivirus with Default Deny Protection™ that stops zero-day malware threats and Comodo Disk Encryption to secure business data. Deploying Comodo ESM will rapidly strengthen desktop security while centralized administration will immediately deliver significant operational cost benefits.
--- End quote ---

I may give it a try, but I have already installed Microsoft Security Essentials on all of the computers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version