ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wanted: Freeware (commercial use allowed) Anti-Virus Tool For Small LAN

<< < (2/3) > >>

tinjaw:
These computers need to be fat clients. They will be used for stuff like Second Life, America's Army, etc.

app103:
I would have to agree with 40hz about the choices being very limited. (he pretty much nailed all your choices (2) in that post)

Another thought I had was combining it with something similar to deepfreeze, so a mere reboot would be enough to make sure the systems are nice & clean. As far as what is available for free like that, the only one I could find was Windows SteadyState.

40hz:
These computers need to be fat clients. They will be used for stuff like Second Life, America's Army, etc.
-tinjaw (October 23, 2009, 06:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Two quick questions:

1) Are they running Windows or Linux as their OS?

2) If you couldn't get AV for free, could you somehow afford $108/per year (or $10/mo) if that would cover providing up to 10 clients with realtime AV protection via Kapersky at the gateway level?

tinjaw:
They are running windows.

I don't think there is an option for what I wanted available. I'm am going to just use independent installations on each computer and manage them one-by-one. When the group administration "requirement" is lifted, the Army has several commercial options that I get access to.

And thanks for reminding me about Microsoft's new AV product. I had forgotten about it.

40hz:
When you get a chance, check out Untangle Gateway over at www.untangle.com  :-*

This is one of those sleeper projects that's great for when you're setting up and securing a small (or even not so small) network. I'm amazed it isn't better known.

Most of the features it supports are available for free (FOSS/GPL). Installable as either a NIX-based standalone server or as a background app on a member machine running Windows.

Well worth a look. I've mentioned it in previous posts.

Disclaimer: I'm not in any way affiliated with Untangle Inc., makers of Untangle Gateway. :mrgreen:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version