topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:02 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ad Muncher - Does it block embedded flash ads?  (Read 9903 times)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ad Muncher - Does it block embedded flash ads?
« on: January 02, 2006, 04:11 PM »
Does Ad Muncher block those flash ad's that are not pop-ups, but inside the page you are visiting?  Like ESPN.com and myspace has a lot of these, where things will start playing (very loudly, which is extra annoying).  I think all of them are flash related stuff, although I don't know the details.  The only problem is that some flash stuff is necessary for webpages, and some are ads, so I'm wondering if Ad Muncher (or another program) can distinguish.  Right now, I have a plugin for Firefox that blocks anything flash related on a webpage, but a lot of it is stuff I need, like the navigation bar or something.  I hate ads so very much.

jroad

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ad Muncher - Does it block embedded flash ads?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 09:35 AM »
Ad Muncher works great and I would say that it does indeed block flash ads on a page.  It does seem to be "smart" in determining what is and is not an ad.  If you find a page that does not render correctly, you can right click on it and send the problem URL to the developer.  You can also disable it's functions for a site if necessary.  There really is no harm in trying it out before making a purchase decision.   

It is still actively developed and you can try out the latest beta by clicking "Community" on the main page.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 01:57 PM »
i've probably asked this before (or it has probably been asked on the forum before by someone else) but what advantage would i have of using admuncher over using the built in 'blockers' that come as part of browsers like firefox or maxthon.

i currently use maxthon but i feel like i'm missing out on something as everyone appears to be raving about admuncher. is admuncher more intelligent, such as in the above case of spotting ad and non ad flash content. if that's the case, then i probably could find a use for it...

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 04:39 PM »
Ad Muncher is an actively maintained application. It has many features, including the ability to add your own entries to a my filters list that allows you to filter out unwanted pieces of a web page or annoyances on said page. The program also comes with a default server list that is actively maintained (an average of 4 updates to the list per week) and updated automatically via the program so you dont have to do a thing. The problem with programs like maxthon or ad block for firefox is that they dont come with a default list, requiring you to find one from another user and that the lists are as actively handled as is ad muncher. The ad muncher list is actively scrubbed by Jeff, the list maintainer, to make sure that if something is added to the default list, that it is A. Actually an ad, and not content, and that B. It doesnt break something else on any other page. Also, ad muncher will soon support gzip compressed pages, as well as per site filters (I.E., you can setup a filter that only works on one page, so that damage to another page is prevented). If you have any other questions, feel free to let me know. Also, check out the latest beta release at http://www.admuncher.com/beta.pl This release is almost 4.7 final, as Murray is actively working to get it out the door since 4.6 has been out for a while and list updates are no longer supported on it since 4.7 has been in development.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 09:05 PM »
Perhaps the best features, or at least one of the best, that no one has mentioned is that Ad Muncher works with all programs that access the internet. That means no ads in ICQ, Yahoo! Messenger, P2P programs.

I've been using Ad Muncher going on 3 years come this February & I haven't seen a Flash ad in all that time.

My personal Ad Muncher stats:

Ad Muncher Usage Statistics for v4.7 Build 20836/1260 *BETA*
Adverts removed by Ad Muncher:  194,056
Approximate bandwidth saved:    1,516 MB
Counter started:                February 20, 2003

And I know there are people out there who have much higher numbers than me.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 04:29 AM »
you've convinced me. i'll install it later today when i'm at home.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 09:44 AM »
you've convinced me. i'll install it later today when i'm at home.

Its just a matter of people assuming that freeware programs are always better than their commercial counterparts. Thats the problem with most firefox users, they assume because adblock is free that it is inherently better. This is not always the case. Enjoy ad muncher, if you need any help, let me know :)

Ad Muncher Usage Statistics for v4.7 Build 20836/1260 *BETA*
Adverts removed by Ad Muncher:  330,737
Approximate bandwidth saved:    2,583 MB
Counter started:                January 22, 2005

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 09:54 AM »
josh - any chance of rearranging the 20% discount for dc members this month - seems like a lot of people here might be interested in purchasing if they could get the discount.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 10:03 AM »
well, i guess i shouldn't but i'll hang on until i hear news of a 20% discount. i'll install the trial version for now.

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 03:36 PM »
I will discuss this with murray. I am sure he is willing to arrange something for dc.com since it seems Ad Muncher seems to be liked so much here :) By the way, you can still install this and use it for 30 days for free before you buy, so that should give you plenty of time while I work with Murray :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 03:53 PM by Josh »

vegas

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 05:15 AM »
I just had someone buy another copy for a computer that I was working on yesterday.  No discount ;( - but hey, he seems to really like what it did the first month it was on his computer for demo purposes.  Another satisfied customer.  I keep forgetting to sign up for the referral program too!