topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Cloudberry S3 Explorer and Bucket Explorer  (Read 10651 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cloudberry S3 Explorer and Bucket Explorer
« on: October 22, 2009, 09:26 PM »
I am looking to get a GUI tool for working with Amazon S3. I have found CloudBerry S3 Explorer and Bucket Explorer. They seem to be the best options out there for Windows. Cloudberry has a Freeware version that I am using now. It may be all I need. But if I need more functionality either of the two commercial products look appealing.

Anybody have any experience with either of them they wish to share?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 10:47 AM by tinjaw »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cloudberry S3 Explorer and
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 10:01 AM »
I can't help you with any experiences, but if you are a Total Commander user you might want to also try a TC plugin called S3 Browser.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Cloudberry S3 Explorer and Bucket Explorer
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 08:32 AM »
Amazon S3 Console

The AWS Management Console now provides a simple and intuitive web interface for managing your Amazon S3 resources. You can manage your existing Amazon S3 resources, as well as create new buckets and upload objects to your buckets using the console. The console simplifies managing your Amazon S3 resources by enabling you to:

* Access your Amazon S3 resources from anywhere using a web-based user interface.
    * Log in using your AWS account name and password. If you've enabled AWS Multi-Factor Authentication, the console will prompt you for your devices authentication code. No need to look up and enter your Access Key ID and Secret Access Key.
    * Oversee your AWS resources in a single, convenient location. The AWS Management Console now supports Amazon S3, Amazon EC2, Amazon CloudFront, Amazon Elastic MapReduce, and Amazon RDS.
    * Manage buckets with billions of objects. The console also works with folders and objects created using many popular third party tools.
_

I tried this out earlier - it hasnt worked yet for me (it is in beta). It did find my one and only bucket, but it was unable to read the contents so I have no idea what it is capable of.
It may well work for others though ...

copy & paste link:-
console.aws.amazon.com/s3
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 01:20 PM »
Amazon S3 Console

The AWS Management Console now provides a simple and intuitive web interface for managing your Amazon S3 resources. You can manage your existing Amazon S3 resources, as well as create new buckets and upload objects to your buckets using the console. The console simplifies managing your Amazon S3 resources by enabling you to:

* Access your Amazon S3 resources from anywhere using a web-based user interface.
[...]
    * Manage buckets with billions of objects. The console also works with folders and objects created using many popular third party tools.
_

I tried this out earlier - it hasnt worked yet for me (it is in beta). [...]

this has improved a lot - it like a basic one pane file manager (it just shows buckets on the 'tree' side).
you can:
  • create new buckets, folders,
  • to open, delete make public
  • cut, copy, paste
  • upload

it cannot handle drag & drop from file manager (to Opera at any rate).
If e.g. you simply want to check if a backup has worked, this if great
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:06 AM »
Sorry for the "thread necromancy" but since Bucket Explorer is for sale at a 50% discount today on BitsduJour - and since this is the only thread mentioning "Bucket Explorer" here at DC - I thought it might be appropriate.

I currently use the free Cloudberry S3 Explorer, mainly because it is free (naturally!) and my only Amazon S3 bucket is the one I created for Jungle Disk to store my JD backups. Jungle Disk stores the data in a way that is not easily browsable to the human eye so I have Cloudberry installed only in case for some reason I cannot access the data any other way. Kind of an emergency backup S3 browser.

Some forum posts I have read elsewhere tout Bucket Explorer as the best tool for browsing S3 data, but it is expensive: regularly $69.99. Bits has it today for $34.99, which though it is a 50% discount that's not exactly cheap either! The praise-filled forum posts I have read all read similarly so it is possible that it is really some astroturfing by the folks at Bucket Explorer. Or not - I'm not trying to accuse them; it might just look that way to me. Actually it looks like it could be more appropriate for companies that require collaboration and access control for multiple S3 buckets. I can't see the justification for using it for a personal S3 account though.

Anyway, is anyone here using Bucket Explorer? If so, can anyone give me reasons why it is so costly? Any special or unique features that aren't otherwise available in other S3 browsers?

Thanks for any advice.

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:40 AM »
I cant help you Jim, apart from pointing out that both seem to offer backup features to justify the price [and then Bucket Explorer the "Team" features] . But if you already have a programme that backs up to S3....

What I'd personally really like is a "real"(!) filemanager that can read S3 - the only one I know of off-hand is a plugin for Total Commander. Must try that out...
Tom

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 09:44 AM »
Tom, do you know where the TC plug-in can be downloaded?

Thanks!

Jim

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:02 AM »
Tom, do you know where the TC plug-in can be downloaded?

I've only heard tell of it - havent used it yet
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/s3.html
Note: Free for personal use only

it's actually related to another app:
S3 Browser
http://s3browser.com/
Tom