ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What's required for Aero in Win7?

(1/4) > >>

tranglos:
Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor is telling me my graphics adapter won't support Aero. I have Nvidia GeForce 880 GTS with 640 MB onboard RAM. It's not two years old and I bought it specifically to run Bioshock at full res and quality - and it does. It runs Dead Space at full throttle, too - but it won't do for Aero?

My upgrade plans have just been postponed indefinitely. Good deal, Microsoft!

(I ran Vista Upgrade Advisor some time ago, and it okayed me for Aero then. Now I feel old :-)

JavaJones:
That does *not* seem right. Do you have the latest graphics drivers? Are you perhaps running beta drivers or some other non-standard (e.g. Omega) drivers?

- Oshyan

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmm, I wonder if there's an option to manually force it after install? The only machine I had that refused to run Aero was an HP with the Intel onboard graphics chips that used system ram for video(no dedicated video memory whatsoever.)  Just dragging windows around on the screen even in XP and the frames would jitter on that thing!!  Not sorry to say I put that one out to the curb!!  :)

I would try the video card manufacturer site for a forum.  Somebody prolly has it running Aero on W7 and may be able to tell you the trick to forcing it.

Josh:
It might be that it does not support DX11 aero effects. It should still support the DX10 functionality which is a majority of aero. I could be wrong, just my thoughts.

JavaJones:
Mmm, Josh's idea sounds like a likely possibility. I know that your card is certainly just fine for Aero on Vista, no reason it shouldn't be for Win7, but since it's not DX11 if there are advanced Aero capabilities enabled by DX11 it would make sense. Still, are there even new DX11-based effects?

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version