ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

You have a computer backup plan.. but does it work?

<< < (5/8) > >>

4wd:
I'm thinking the power down landing zone bit might not work as designed if the thing is running flat?-MilesAhead (October 23, 2009, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

The Quick Install Guide shows the drive being mounted horizontally.

If anything, mounting it vertically would be more likely to affect any power down landing as being mounted horizontally the actuator always requires the same effort to 'park'.  Whereas vertically, it either has to move up or down hill as it were, requiring more or less effort to move.

All in all, it really doesn't matter whether it's vertical or horizontal as, AFAIK, all current desktop/enterprise drives are designed with both types of mounting in mind.

Where it could possibly be an issue is where the drive is mounted at an oblique angle, in which case bearing load would probably come into play.

EDIT: Considering that probably 90% of desktops/towers use horizontal mounting, they'd probably be cutting their own throat, (income-wise), if they specified a vertical only mounting, (the Caviar Black is designed for Desktop not Enterprise environments).

40hz:
One thing I was wondering about concerning the rack... aren't the new drives like WD Caviar Black etc, designed to be mounted vertically?  Does it mess them up to be running mounted in a horizontal position?  I'm thinking the power down landing zone bit might not work as designed if the thing is running flat?

-MilesAhead (October 23, 2009, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1 with 4wd

Here's the official word from WD's knowledgebase:

WD drives will function normally whether they are mounted sideways or upside down (any X, Y, Z orientation). Of course, the physical design of your system may limit the positions in which the drive can be mounted. However, in all cases, you should mount the drive with all four screws for good grounding. Also ensure that there is enough air space around the drive for adequate air flow, and avoid mounting the drive near sources of excessive heat (such as some CPUs).
--- End quote ---

:Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
Thanks for the info. Seeing all these drives standing on edge must have psyched me into thinking they had to be that way. Must be just because stuff tends to be tower cases rather than the old horizontal desktop style these days.

It's funny because if you google you can get religious arguments going back a few years. The mount on edge guys think they have the edge on the flat earth types. It's good for a chuckle but I think I'm staying out of that one.  ;)

mouser:
You can now get paragon's drive imaging tool in a very good free version:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=20459

40hz:
And if you're running Windows 7, Microsoft now includes its own system imaging utility so most people who migrate over won't need to purchase anything extra. Recovery images can be stored on a hard drive, DVDs, or a network share. The image restoration process can be initiated through the control panel, the recovery console, or via bootable media if your PC is really screwed up.

You have a computer backup plan.. but does it work?

I've done some informal testing, and I'm pleased to say it works as advertised. :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version