ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

You have a computer backup plan.. but does it work?

<< < (2/8) > >>

mouser:
can you recommend one mouser ?  a search for "hard drive rack sata trayless" at NewEgg just gives three iStarUSA products which sound suspiciously like they only available in USA or N.America..
--- End quote ---

here's a better search link at newegg (for "tray-less" instead of "trayless"):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=rack+tray-less&x=0&y=0

the one i have is the kingwin, but any of those will do.

cmpm:
any reasons you want to give for this mouser?

and please do get into the habit of regularly backing up your hard drive
--- End quote ---

just curious.....

mouser:
any reasons you want to give for this mouser?
--- End quote ---

Well I had to do a hard drive restore not too long ago after a sudden hard drive total crash and failure. Everything went very smoothly, but i felt like i got a bit lucky in terms of having recently made a backup, and kept having visions of the nightmare that would have befallen me had i not made a recent backup or if i had not been prepared for it.

cmpm:
Yeah, I do a backup daily if not twice a day occasionally.
Depends on the changes I made.
New software installed or other changes.

Still using paragon sytem backup, of which paragon's hard disk manager performs about the same, I use it as well. I haven't done the blank hard drive yet though. I will when I get the drive and the energy-lol-both almost the same!

mouser:
Let me add another more subtle tip, do not shoot yourself in the face by doing very frequent backups that always erase your last backup.

You might *think* you are doing a good thing by making very frequent backups, but if you are always overwriting your previous backup with the new one, what you are really doing is asking for trouble.

The problem is that problems don't always show up immediately.

Let's say you make a back up today of your system, and each time you back up you do it by overwriting your previous backup.  So you only have 1 backup of your system, and it's from yesterday.  Then tomorrow you get a virus alert and it turns out you were really infected last week, and it riddled your PC with viruses and wiped out your entire family photo collection, but you didn't notice it until today, when the new virus definitions got released.

Oops.. what do you do now? Your only backup is from yesterday, but yesterday's backup still had the virus on it.  The same problem occurs if it's not a virus but you accidentally delete files or overwrite files and don't realize it for a few days.

SO.. the solution is to create drive images and stagger them instead of overwriting them.  Keep multiple drive images spread out in time.. make a new one after major installs or updates, or once a month, and keep some going back for 6 months or so.  You get the picture.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version