ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

74% of the world, Google's Chrome OS is not for you

<< < (4/4)

zridling:
Innuendo, I understand. However, my own cable connection has been the most reliable part of the house; it stays up even during storms when the electricity goes out. To your point, I don't think you should have to be online to use your computer. But for those of us who agree with you, there's Linux, OSX, Windows, et al. But there will be forks of Chrome OS that will work offline or with other localized software, that much is inevitable.

Brilliant 40hz, smack dab brilliant!

Innuendo:
40 Hz, thanks for taking the time to type all that out. It illustrated my point beautifully.

Zaine, my cable connection is the most reliable part of the house as well, but while I have never had trouble getting to Google's servers I have have had trouble getting to other servers who don't seem to be as blessed with as reliable internet service as me.

For some Google's OS may be perfect, but it's just not for me. I can't imagine it's going to be for a lot of businesses, either. A lot use apps that are 'too heavy' like PhotoShop and AutoCAD. Others deal with data too sensitive to be allowed on the net due to HIPAA regulations and the like. Of course, a lot of businesses will turn their nose up at the idea because they don't want to retrain employees.

Dormouse:
I can't imagine myself ever having an OS that relies on the net for most uses.
That doesn't mean I see the need to have any concern about the existence of one that does.
I can see a fair number of users that it would suit very well, and an even bigger number of users who might be suited by one some of the time.
There's always the option of having more than one OS on a machine and different OSs on different machines.
This one seems very targeted at netbooks, and I really don't see why there should be a problem with a netbook which requires access to the net for most of its functionality.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version