topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows 7 Commercials  (Read 13685 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows 7 Commercials
« on: October 21, 2009, 01:27 PM »
Found an article showing off some of the conceptual commercial spots for Windows 7 & thought it was interesting enough I'd share here:

http://www.istarteds...advertising-to-come/

Who knows if they'll actually use any of these, but it's nice to see MS is focusing more on advertising features this time around.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows 7 Commercials
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 08:09 PM »
Hmm... Maybe I'm just a cynic but I didn't like any of those.
Vid 1. Wasn't Movie Maker in Vista? Is this even a new commercial?
Vid 2. Personally, I find Aero Shake to be annoying, 'specially since I've only done it accidentally.
Vid 3. Another existing Vista feature.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:34 PM »
1. Movie Maker was introduced in WinME.
2.  :huh:
3. Yahoo Widgets?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:46 PM by app103 »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 10:14 PM »
Aero Shake is great when you're running multiple monitors  :Thmbsup:

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Maybe I just haven't realized why it's handy yet, I don't use multiple monitors any more though. Can you describe how you use it Darwin?

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 10:34 PM »
Well... It's not *much* of an advance beyond double-clicking the menubar titlebar, but if I want to move a window to my secondary monitor, I simply drag the window over and then make sure that it touches the top of the viewable area of the monitor et voila! It's maximized. It really SOUNDS quite silly but I actually find it to be surprisingly handy  :Thmbsup:

EDIT: corrected wording... Doh! I was THINKING "titlebar" while I was typing the original post, too  >:(
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 09:48 AM by Darwin »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 06:43 AM »
Giving the initial post's wording, it may be of merely little interest if I like these videos or if I already have tried these features on a former system. If I've understood any of it, the point was & is that apparently Microsoft will finally be advertising the content rather than the form. And that may be one small step for mankind, but it is one giant step for Microsoft. Thanks, Innuendo!

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 09:50 AM »
Giving the initial post's wording, it may be of merely little interest if I like these videos or if I already have tried these features on a former system.

Yes, I believe that the emphasis on these concept commercials (they aren't even really commercials. The guy who made them was given 3 days to come up with something to advertise Win7) is the new Windows 7 way of doing things. For example, the promo about the Gadgets shows that while Gadgets remain the Sidebar is gone.

Previous Windows ad campaigns have been rather trippy featuring people running through fields & flying through the air while the only audio is Rolling Stones or Madonna song. I think this is a brilliant move because once people are shown exactly what Windows 7 will do for them then Apple is going to have to drop (or at least supplement) their current ad campaign as people will then be wondering what can Apple's OS do for me *exactly* and there has yet to be an OS X commercial that shows that.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 09:54 AM »
Nicely said, Curt  :Thmbsup: I've yet to see a Windows 7 ad (I don't watch that much television), but I hope you're right. In fairness, with the success of the Apple ad campaign over the past two or three years, I don't think MS had much choice but to go the way that they did. I've said it elsewhere, but Apple's ads have been so effective that I don't think that MS advertising Vista on features would have worked - it's now ingrained in peoples' minds, right or wrong, that Vista was a pig.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 04:32 PM »
Well... It's not *much* of an advance beyond double-clicking the menubar titlebar, but if I want to move a window to my secondary monitor, I simply drag the window over and then make sure that it touches the top of the viewable area of the monitor et voila! It's maximized. It really SOUNDS quite silly but I actually find it to be surprisingly handy  :Thmbsup:

EDIT: corrected wording... Doh! I was THINKING "titlebar" while I was typing the original post, too  >:(
Ah, I think what you're referring to is actually called "Aero Snap". Shake lets you grab the title bar, shake it, and all other windows minimize (sorta like WinKey + D, but it keeps the current window open). I guess the purpose of Shake is to help you focus on the top window without being distracted by the other windows on your screen or something...?

skrommel made an autohotkey script that apparently has a similar effect (but better). I haven't tried it yet though, I guess I'm too lazy to install AHK. Here it is.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 05:05 PM »
 :-[ Guilty as charged! I've not even tried Aero Shake yet...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 06:48 PM »
Heh, heh - just tried Aero Shake and it's not bad. A bit gimmicky and I'm not sure if I'll wind up using it at this point or not, but I can see that it might useful on a single monitor set up.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 05:59 PM »
However cheesy and/or ridiculous Microsoft commercials could possibly get, they couldn't begin to match the inane GEICO insurance commercials which include the GEICO gecko, the cavemen, and "the money you could be saving" bits.

I understand that these ads are apparently quite successful, but good grief...I must be getting old. ;D

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 11:43 AM »
However cheesy and/or ridiculous Microsoft commercials could possibly get, they couldn't begin to match the inane GEICO insurance commercials which include the GEICO gecko, the cavemen, and "the money you could be saving" bits.

Oooooo!!! Commercial idea....

:: fade in ::
:: show Mac Pro laptop and price ::
:: fade out ::
:: fade in ::
:: show cheap Dell laptop and price ::
:: fade out ::
:: fade in::
:: show Mac price subtracting Dell price ::
:: fade in below price difference the message "This is the money you could be saving by using Windows."
:: fade out::

It practically writes itself.  :D

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 12:22 PM »
And you could add the geico money stack (Patent Pending) to the commercial and also make it a car insurance ad! YES! Beautiful!

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 12:51 PM »
Oooooo!!! Commercial idea...It practically writes itself.  :D
And add 7 cartoonish animals of some type, or maybe the 7 dwarfs from Snow White with a Disney promo/tie-in..yeah, yeah..I can see it now. ;D

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 01:01 PM »
My reaction to the whole "make it simpler" ad theme:

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." -Albert Einsein :P

:Thmbsup:

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2009, 01:23 PM »
just tried Aero Shake and it's not bad
I tried the new Aero Palsy but there seems never to be more than one window available???