topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 10:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Could Authotkey make my life easier?  (Read 4773 times)

m_s

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Could Authotkey make my life easier?
« on: January 05, 2006, 10:51 AM »
This is for the Autohotkey devotees:

I work on two laptops, and maintain my lists in MyLifeOrganized (watch for a mini-review here within the next fortnight).  At the end of the day I switch from my work machine to my home machine.  I have been copying my MLO data file to a pen-drive at the end of the day, and then copying it over to the home machine.  I tried running MLO from the single data file on the pen-drive, but this is a little complicated for me (for reasons to do with the way MLO works), and anyway I like to have my data file backed-up on both computers.  So I have taken to emailing the file to myself - this is easy and works fine, but I'm wondering if I could use Autohotkey to automate this process. 

Is it as simple as recording the various steps of: 1) closing down MLO to gain access to the data file (this is necessary before copying the data file), 2) opening a new message, 3) addressing it to myself, 4) attaching the data file, 5) send the message, and then playing back this recorded macro whenever I want to repeat the process?  I don't mind the manual steps of receiving the message on the other machine and comparing to be sure I am not overwriting a newer version of the file. 

I don't know AHK at all, so I don't know if this would be the way of doing what I need - can anyone advise?

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Could Authotkey make my life easier?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 10:59 AM »
I work on two laptops, and maintain my lists in MyLifeOrganized (watch for a mini-review here within the next fortnight).
Looking forward to that!

Is it as simple as recording the various steps of: 1) closing down MLO to gain access to the data file (this is necessary before copying the data file), 2) opening a new message, 3) addressing it to myself, 4) attaching the data file, 5) send the message, and then playing back this recorded macro whenever I want to repeat the process?  I don't mind the manual steps of receiving the message on the other machine and comparing to be sure I am not overwriting a newer version of the file. 
You probably could do all that, but what about bringing your personal FTP server into the equation? Setting all the rights right, you could probably let AHK monitor MLO and when you close it on PC 1 it will automatically back up the data file to the FTP server, where the script on the other PC will get it from and 'install' it when you click a button there.

I don't know AHK at all, so I don't know if this would be the way of doing what I need - can anyone advise?
Lets see what skrommel thinks about our thoughts, but you should the "I don't know AHK at all" part even if you won't use AHK for this task: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1167.0
:)

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Could Authotkey make my life easier?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 06:07 PM »

Hi,

if you're interested in AutoHotkey the best thing to do is, to try it yourself. The Help file is a good start. Browse the commands, read what they do and then think how Autohotkey can automate your task. And before you know it, you're writing your own small scripts... :)

Here's how I'd do it:

Script 1:

1.) Run MLO (command Run)
2.) Wait until MLO is closed (WinWaitClose)
2.) Upload the file via FTP (see example in command FileAppend)

Script 2:

1.) Download the file (URLDownloadToFile) in %temp%
2.) Check if the existing file is newer than the download file (FileGetTime... modified)
3.) Move the file from %temp% to wherever you need it or erase it from %temp% (FileMove, FileDelete)

If you insist in emailing, you can use a command line emailer http://snipurl.com/lbnr) to send emails (Run,sendemail.exe parameters,,hide). Of course you can also start your emailer (run,mailto:[email protected]) and send keystrokes. Retrieving emails + extracting attachments using Autohotkey is the difficult part. I've no idea if this is possible.