ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Quickest way to copy files from a surface-damaged HDD

<< < (2/5) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Just a couple things that occurred to me while reading this.

If the drive really is that damaged, the recovery window is rather small & experimentation can be fatal.

Given what you've tried so far, if it ain't completely dead by now...it probably wasn't that bad to start with.

So... Is there a specific reason you didn't just run CheckDisk on it? That would leave you with all copyable files (albeit perhaps less than you started with).

Granted it's not free, but I've had excellent results with RunTime Software's GetDataBack on both NTFS & Fat32 drives.

MerleOne:
I had a couple of surprisingly good experiences with DRevitalize. If possible I'd suggest to make a backup of the whole disk first though, I'm usually using DriveImage XML in raw mode.
-yksyks (October 20, 2009, 04:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Strange : after more than 50% check with Drevitalize 2.30, no single bad sector has been found.

Updated : finally, this is OK, default are at the end, I found them using HDTune.

f0dder:
I hope you ran DIXML in raw copy mode before experimenting with an application like DRevitalize :o

MerleOne:
I hope you ran DIXML in raw copy mode before experimenting with an application like DRevitalize :o
-f0dder (October 20, 2009, 06:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
I ran Drive Snapshot, but not in RAW mode.  Maybe I should use this RAW mode...

MerleOne:
Update : for the moment, I have given up with DRevitalize : much too long to repair sectors. Besides, I want to know which files are corrupt.  I have given another try to the freeware unstoppable copier and I get the best possible results, even if it is quite long when accessing hard to read files.  But it takes no CPU, so I can do something else at the same time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version