ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Quickest way to copy files from a surface-damaged HDD

(1/5) > >>

MerleOne:
Hi,
A friend a mine has a very damaged 2"1/2 HDD.  The FAT32 fat system is reasonably OK, but several files have read error.  I just want to copy the files that are OK to a new safe location.  I have tried so far :

> Unstoppable copier
> Durable Copier
> Active File Recovery Pro
> DeadDiskDoctor

They all exhibit the same issue : when a damaged file is encountered, there is some kind of long timeout (several minutes) until the OS returns control and the file is declared as unreadable.  

Does someone know of a software, possibly free, that can skip damaged files without spending 5 minutes on each damaged one ?

I have also tried to perform a drive snapshot image, but when I mount the image, the important folder I want to backup appears to be empty.

Thanks !

awopbamboo:
Why not use 'xcopy' from the command line a /c  (ignore's errors)

i.e.

xcopy c: x: /c /s /b

c: being the drive to copy from
x: being the drive to copy to

yksyks:
I had a couple of surprisingly good experiences with DRevitalize. If possible I'd suggest to make a backup of the whole disk first though, I'm usually using DriveImage XML in raw mode.

MerleOne:
Why not use 'xcopy' from the command line a /c  (ignore's errors)

i.e.

xcopy c: x: /c /s /b

c: being the drive to copy from
x: being the drive to copy to

-awopbamboo (October 20, 2009, 04:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Will try that !

Update : /b doesn't exist in XP xcopy apparently
Update 2 : doesn't work either, as soon as an error is found, it takes ages to skip the file

MerleOne:
I had a couple of surprisingly good experiences with DRevitalize. If possible I'd suggest to make a backup of the whole disk first though, I'm usually using DriveImage XML in raw mode.
-yksyks (October 20, 2009, 04:45 AM)
--- End quote ---
Will try that too, thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version