ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

10 things to do after installing Linux

<< < (2/11) > >>

Tuxman:
Ubuntu is an easier to use version of Debian.-Innuendo (October 19, 2009, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---
"Stripped down" doesn't necessarily imply "easier to use".

1 - Because newbies want to start the computer, get their mp3s from their windows machine and listen to them right away.
2 - Because newbies want to start the computer, insert a divx and see it right away.
3 - Because newbies want to start their computer, open a window and have the desktop effects right away (even if they have an nvidia graphics card).-jgpaiva (October 19, 2009, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
All necessary software can easily be installed during the Debian installation process. What's wrong with that?

scancode:
11. sudo rm -rf /* and then install Windows again.

f0dder:
-scancode (October 19, 2009, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Beat me to it  :-*

app103:
No linux newbie in their right mind would get rid of Windows and go strictly linux right off the bat. They would either keep windows on another machine or dual boot. You need some place familiar that works to call home while you are researching possible issues you may have.

(what happens if your wireless card doesn't work? you won't be able to google a solution unless you have access to a machine/os where it does work)

40hz:
-scancode (October 19, 2009, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Beat me to it  :-*
-f0dder (October 19, 2009, 12:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

@ziridling: I'll bet you were waiting for that just like I was. :-\

what happens if your wireless card doesn't work?
-app103 (October 19, 2009, 12:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe use a network cable until you got your wifi problem sorted out? ;)

BTW:wouldn't it be more correct to say when it doesn't work?  ;D Wifi connectivity is still a major (and completely unnecessary) challenge for many new Linux users. We can thank the hardware manufacturers for that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version