ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

BoomerApp.com - New Software Rebates Website from BitsDuJour

<< < (2/4) > >>

J-Mac:
Not to rain on your parade, but mail-in rebates?? Mail-in rebates have to be one of the worst possible deals for consumers. Great for sellers no doubt, though. I have had so many mail-in rebates lost, ignored, refused for absurd reasons, etc., that I refuse to even consider them as discounts. I look at the price I must pay up front and consider that the actual price. If a mail-in rebate actually works, consider it "found money".

Most of the rebate fulfillment firms in the US have been sued by state attorneys at one time or another. And most have web sites where you can read their pitch to retailers, how they can promise the fewest successful rebate submittals,  thus guaranteeing retailers the best of all worlds - offering so-called "discounts" that only have a 30% rate of payout.

IMO this could be a good program with almost any other pricing gimmick; but not with MIRs.

My opinion only, of course...   8)

Jim

iconico:
Not to rain on your parade, but mail-in rebates?? Mail-in rebates have to be one of the worst possible deals for consumers....
-J-Mac (October 20, 2009, 01:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're right that some mail-in rebate companies refuse or make the rebates hard to get, that's why we've partnered with RebateDelivery. This is a new company and was set up by the former owner of SwiftCD and earlier RegSoft, which were since sold to Digital River. I've known the owner personally for several years. They know the software industry inside out, and have built the infrastructure and organization from the ground up to do it right.

I've tried the process myself and it's quick, painless, and just plain works.

We've run BitsDuJour off of the support and trust of independent software vendors and software enthusiasts, we're not about to wreck it by partnering with a fly-by-night organization that doesn't have the same values that we have.

J-Mac:
I wasn't trying to cast any shadows on Bits - I have used your site for some time now, purchasing many of my apps there. Very respectable web site. It's the rebate issue in general that gives me heartburn.

Thank you.

Jim

iconico:
I wasn't trying to cast any shadows on Bits - I have used your site for some time now, purchasing many of my apps there. Very respectable web site. It's the rebate issue in general that gives me heartburn.-J-Mac (October 20, 2009, 01:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm very glad you hold us in good regard, hopefully we can change your perception on rebates. Heck, I'll go one better, if anyone has any problem whatsoever with a rebate from BoomerApp I'll personally write them a check.

patteo:
Just thought I will weigh in on this from another angle. And this is not to cast aspersion on the rebate system but to help others recognize the pitfalls.

If you are someone who is buying from other than from the USA, I think you are basically out of luck even if the rebate system is reliable.

Basically, you will get a check Drawn on a US Bank, let's say US$39 in this case for yaTimer.

Now, what are you going to do ?

Go to your local bank of course.

Now if you understand this aspect of the international payment system, you will know or soon find out that your local bank through some round about process, have to exchange this check with a US based bank and in the process, you will find that the amount you get will magically disappear because of Bank commission, exchange commission, etc some of which there is a minimum sum and your final receipt after you have queue up at your bank and paid your parking charges etc is not really worth your trouble.

You may end up with US$10, maybe US$5, maybe more, maybe less. Who knows - you are at the mercy of the local and international banks for the various charges they wish to deduct.

I suggest you ask you local bank what sort of charges is involved in when you cash a US check if you are not in the USA. You may even find that your local bank give you a non-committal answer saying it depends of which bank it comes from.

Unfortunately, when this happens, there will be some rather unhappy people who unwittingly became victims of the "system" and who is going to get blamed. Certainly not the banks.

Now, mind you, this is just the "system" of clearing an International Checks from another country that is not your own country - ie whether you are in Australia, getting a UK or US check.

But if the 100% rebate is for a US$390 software, what is US$20 or even US$50 for bank charges to help pay the fat cats on Wall Street.

Update:

I just read that for certain countries (in their FAQ) , the check will be sent in the local currency. But do note that if again the check is drawn on a US bank, the back and forth thing between your local bank and the US Bank continue to apply and that means the bank commission charges.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version