topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What books are you reading?  (Read 676703 times)

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What books are you reading?
« Reply #950 on: June 17, 2018, 08:52 PM »
Do.
Like Gulliver's Travels, it is all held together by a fast paced adventure, in this case a romp with characters that zing like a James Bond movie. Structured like The Magnificent Seven or the Dirty Dozen (and maybe even a deliberate reference to the Seven's appropriation of a Japanese original), the adventures are pure D&D (as is the totting up).

The economics described are those of Rome (late Republic/early Empire) or maybe Spanish conquest (the economics is more Roman, the social consequences more Spanish). Explicit social comment, but seems more aimed at the isms in D&D/RPG than contemporary society. I suspect that the author has already overstretched his economic expertise and that Book Two, which I haven't read yet, will have more of the social commentary than economics. If it has either, because they can be ignored as the story and characters hold up on their own.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 08:58 PM by Dormouse »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #951 on: June 18, 2018, 03:37 PM »
Another fun novella by Mark Clifton:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27595

If you have problems with authority figures I suspect you will enjoy his stories.  Written in early sixties but really applies in the post 9/11 USA.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #952 on: June 18, 2018, 03:53 PM »
Another fun novella by Mark Clifton:

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27595

If you have problems with authority figures I suspect you will enjoy his stories.  Written in early sixties but really applies in the post 9/11 USA.
couldn't get the book (Error 403: Forbidden) but still made for an interesting read:
https://cand.pglaf.o...g/germany/index.html
Spoiler
The Basics

On December 30, 2015, PGLAF received notification that a lawsuit had been filed in Germany against it, and its CEO. The lawsuit was concerned with 18 eBooks, by three authors, which are part of the Project Gutenberg collection.
        The lawsuit was filed in the Frankfurt am Main Regional Court, in Germany.
        The Plaintiff is S. Fischer Verlag, GmbH. Hedderichstrasse 114, 60956 Frankfurt am Main, Germany. They are represented by the law firm, Waldorf Frommer of Munich.
    The essence of the lawsuit is that the Plaintiff demands the 18 eBooks to be removed from Project Gutenberg's servers. The lawsuit also seeks punitive damages and fines.
    Based on legal advice from its US attorneys, PGLAF declined to remove the items. The lawsuit proceeded, with a series of document filings by both sides, and hearings before the judges (all of which occurred in German, in the German court). PGLAF hired a German law firm, Wilde Beuger Solmecke, in Köln, to represent it in Germany.
    On February 9 2018, the Court issued a judgement granting essentially most of the Plaintiff's demands. The Court did not order that the 18 items no longer be made available by Project Gutenberg, and instead wrote that it is sufficient to instead make them no longer accessible to German Internet (IP) addresses.
        Court's original decision (in German).
        Decision translated into English.
    PGLAF complied with the Court's order on February 28, 2018 by blocking all access to www.gutenberg.org and sub-pages to all of Germany.

ironic that Project Gutenberg gets blocked in Germany...
Tom

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #953 on: June 18, 2018, 05:35 PM »
Indeed - especially the whole of it, not just the books the plaintiff wanted removed.  Sounds a bit petulant.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #954 on: June 18, 2018, 07:10 PM »
...PGLAF complied with the Court's order on February 28, 2018 by blocking all access to www.gutenberg.org and sub-pages to all of Germany. ...
Yes, ironic, and brilliantly simple from an administrative POV.
As a logical extension - and even more simple - might be to block access to Project Gutenberg from all countries.    :o

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #955 on: June 18, 2018, 07:18 PM »
This is a tangentially related bit of irony:

I went to download a paper on privacy called "I've Got Nothing to Hide" and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy by Daniel J. Solove, but since the website detected that I was using an anonymous proxy, they tried to get me to register for an account so they could track me, and made me complete the reCAPTCHA three times when I insisted on clicking the (almost hidden) link to continue downloading anonymously.

Privacy Paper Irony.pngWhat books are you reading?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 07:27 PM by Deozaan »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #956 on: June 26, 2018, 04:27 PM »
TheCureOfSouls_$.jpg

Fourth in Phil Rickman's series of crime + supernatural novels featuring Merrily Watkins, Church of England deliverance minister (what used to be called an exorcist).  Useful commentary on this series to be found on Philip Grosset's Clerical Detectives Web Site, specifically at The Rev Merrily Watkins page.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #957 on: June 26, 2018, 04:45 PM »
DarkSleeper_$.jpgTheHouseInTheHighWood_$.jpg

The first two novels in Jeffrey E. Barlough's 'Western Lights' series.  Quoting the Wikipedia article on Jeffrey E. Barloughw:
[...] author of several dark fantasy novels that comprise his Western Lights series, set in an alternate world in which the last Ice Age never ended. [...] where Victorian society exists alongside prehistoric beasts. The books are written in a style reminiscent of 19th century authors that has often been referred to Charles Dickens mixed with H. P. Lovecraft. His stories portray eccentric and (mostly) likable characters set within detailed locations that, on the surface, seem mundane and sometimes even cheery, but sinister plots and presences are slowly and carefully revealed.
I've never read Lovecraft, but I see the Dickens.  And these are most definitely dark fantasy - very, very dark, especially in the case of the bleak The House in the High Wood.

Official Website of the Western Lights Series

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #958 on: June 26, 2018, 06:09 PM »
Two more down in my book challenge for 2018.

skinwalker.jpgWhat books are you reading?

Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

I'd heard good things about the series, but the beginning made me think that they were wrong. She uses a lot of glue words, and they slow down reading. The dialog of the Beast is quite gimmicky. But as I read, and was caught up in the backgrounds and mystery, my reservations faded. It became enjoyable instead of a chore, and the story was quite good. I'm not sure if I will continue the series, but it was an enjoyable read, and I am considering more of the Jane Yellowrock books- more for the characterizations and background than anything else.

skyborn.jpgWhat books are you reading?

Skyborn by David Dalglish

It started out slowly, though it rapidly picked up the pace, and enthralled me with the story of flying islands far in the sky and their winged protectors. I'd thought it predictable, but it took an unexpected but welcomed turn into other territories. I'm looking forward to the next book to continue the story!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #959 on: August 07, 2018, 05:12 PM »
The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovich:
resized_The_Furthest_Station.jpg
A novella, not a full novel, in the "Peter Grant" a.k.a. "Rivers of London" series.  I suppose he more or less ties up the loose ends, but it's a potboiler  <grump>  Doesn't make sense unless you've read the earlier full novels.  And this is just me, but I didn't like the inclusion of an interview with the author, either.  An author revealing too much about his/her approach and beliefs (or lack of) is apt to undermine my ability to maintain willing suspension of disbelief.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:08 PM by rjbull »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #960 on: August 07, 2018, 09:53 PM »
GardensoftheMoon.jpgWhat books are you reading?
Gardens of the Moon
Malazan Book of the Fallen #1
by Steven Erikson

I bought this several years ago on a recommendation, started reading it, and put it down.  It seemed at the time too dense.  I really don't know what my thoughts were at the time, as I love Glen Cook, David Drake, Eric Flint, Harry Turtledove, and many like that.

I figured I must have missed something, and picked it up again, and haven't been able to put it down.  It is quite dense but quite enthralling.  The details and interactions are amazing to see unfold, and the background is very well written.  It's definitely not light reading, but a well-crafted fantasy epic.  If that type of thing appeals to you, I definitely recommend this one.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #961 on: August 08, 2018, 07:50 AM »
I am reading anything I can get by Clifford D. Simak.  Just fun SciFi.

https://en.m.wikiped...ki/Clifford_D._Simak

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #962 on: August 14, 2018, 09:17 AM »

Dumped:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #963 on: August 15, 2018, 03:17 PM »
Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen #1) by Steven Erikson
[...]
I bought this several years ago on a recommendation, started reading it, and put it down.  [...] I figured I must have missed something, and picked it up again, and haven't been able to put it down.  It is quite dense but quite enthralling.
I had a false start with that too, I think because it opens on a scene of World War One-level carnage, with no explanation whatsoever.  Something must have grabbed me because I went back and finished it; also read the next one, Deadhouse Gates.  Erikson absolutely does not hold your hand.  I liked his description of the Crimson Guard mercenary army as "500 men and women in brown leather with not a single shiny buckle between them."  Much more realistic than the flowery heraldry and romanticised conflict you sometimes get in fantasy.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #964 on: August 15, 2018, 03:19 PM »
Ah, takes me back...  Way Station, Time Is The Simplest Thing, City...  great stuff.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #965 on: August 15, 2018, 03:33 PM »
Ah, takes me back...  Way Station, Time Is The Simplest Thing, City...  great stuff.

Speaking of old times, remember those scifi paperbacks with two novels and a book cover on each side?   :D

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #966 on: August 15, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Third in Jasper Fforde's Bookworld series, described by various reviewers as inspired lunacy, unashamedly silly but marvellously intelligent, full of clever wordplay, literary allusions and bibliowit;

resized_The_Well_of_Lost_Plots.jpg

If you like books - a lot - this series is great fun.

Spoiler
The cover art is an artist's rather inaccurate rendition of Miss Havisham from Dickens' Great Expectations] trying to set a speed record in one of Sir Malcolm Campbell's between-wars aero-engined cars in a race against Mr. Toad from Kenneth Graham's The Wind in the Willows... and owing to changes in local government boundaries, the Cheshir Cat is now the Unitary Authority of Warrington Cat.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 04:19 PM by rjbull »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #967 on: August 15, 2018, 03:58 PM »
Erikson absolutely does not hold your hand.  I liked his description of the Crimson Guard mercenary army as "500 men and women in brown leather with not a single shiny buckle between them."  Much more realistic than the flowery heraldry and romanticised conflict you sometimes get in fantasy.

I am definitely seeing this.  Many times I read before going to bed to wind down- this is definitely not a book for that!  You have to engage your mind more than with most fiction these days, and I love it!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #968 on: August 15, 2018, 04:03 PM »
Books four and five of Emma Newman's Split Worlds quintet:

resized_A_Little_Knowledge.jpgresized_All_Good_Things.jpg

Quoting critics: "A unique blend of urban, historical and crime fantasy clothed in a Regency veneer."  "Dark magic, darker fae foes, family feuds."  "Takes on class and gender dynamics."

Emma Newman also writes SF, but I haven't yet read any of those.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #969 on: August 15, 2018, 04:07 PM »
Speaking of old times, remember those scifi paperbacks with two novels and a book cover on each side?

No!  I'm in the UK, and that may be why.  :(  Cover art was a problem for me in itself.  I never bought, say, Analog as a teenager, worried I think about the flak I might get others seeing the lurid covers...  I must have missed out on a lot of good stuff.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #970 on: August 17, 2018, 12:30 PM »
Speaking of old times, remember those scifi paperbacks with two novels and a book cover on each side?

No!  I'm in the UK, and that may be why.  :(  Cover art was a problem for me in itself.  I never bought, say, Analog as a teenager, worried I think about the flak I might get others seeing the lurid covers...  I must have missed out on a lot of good stuff.

Here is one of the double paperbacks I had:

https://www.amazon.c...-G-614/dp/B000N349SI

I remembered the title "Envoy to the Dog Star."

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #971 on: August 17, 2018, 05:11 PM »
Another fun novella by Mark Clifton: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27595
couldn't get the book (Error 403: Forbidden) but still made for an interesting read:
https://cand.pglaf.o...g/germany/index.html

Your quote might have been a little too short, tomos:

Q: Who are the authors? Why are they copyrighted in Germany, but not in the US?
A:

Heinrich Mann, who died in 1950.
    Thomas Mann, who died in 1955.
    Alfred Döblin, who died in 1957.

In Germany, they are copyrighted based on "life +70 years" of copyright protection (so, copyright will expire after 2020, 2025 and 2027, respectively). In the US, copyright protection for works published prior to 1978 is based on the number of years since publication.
------------
Any way: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/27595 epub: * 27595. eight-keys-to-eden_clifton-mark.zip (133.76 kB - downloaded 226 times.)

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #972 on: August 20, 2018, 07:01 AM »
Dumped:

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 07:49 AM by panzer »

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #973 on: August 20, 2018, 10:03 AM »
Promise of Blood is excellent, if you like alternative history with a touch of the fantastical.  I'd definitely recommend it, as I did above :)

Of course, tastes vary, and admittedly it is a bit hard in the beginning as he's quite detailed in his weaving of the world, and it starts In Media Res.  But I've found the whole series gripping.

The first is the Powder Mage Series, by Brian McClellan.  It starts with A Promise of Blood

The Age of Kings is dead . . . and I have killed it.

It's a bloody business overthrowing a king...
Field Marshal Tamas' coup against his king sent corrupt aristocrats to the guillotine and brought bread to the starving. But it also provoked war with the Nine Nations, internal attacks by royalist fanatics, and the greedy to scramble for money and power by Tamas's supposed allies: the Church, workers unions, and mercenary forces.

It's brilliantly paced, with visceral battle scenes that other than the presence of the Powder Mages and other Magic are very well done, and might as well be right out of a Sharpe novel, and well written characters that are intelligently developed.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #974 on: September 10, 2018, 10:30 AM »

Dumped:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:37 AM by panzer »