ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (193/212) > >>

wraith808:
What books are you reading?Gardens of the MoonMalazan Book of the Fallen #1by Steven Erikson
I bought this several years ago on a recommendation, started reading it, and put it down.  It seemed at the time too dense.  I really don't know what my thoughts were at the time, as I love Glen Cook, David Drake, Eric Flint, Harry Turtledove, and many like that.

I figured I must have missed something, and picked it up again, and haven't been able to put it down.  It is quite dense but quite enthralling.  The details and interactions are amazing to see unfold, and the background is very well written.  It's definitely not light reading, but a well-crafted fantasy epic.  If that type of thing appeals to you, I definitely recommend this one.

MilesAhead:
I am reading anything I can get by Clifford D. Simak.  Just fun SciFi.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clifford_D._Simak

panzer:

Dumped:

rjbull:
Gardens of the Moon (Malazan Book of the Fallen #1) by Steven Erikson
[...]
I bought this several years ago on a recommendation, started reading it, and put it down.  [...] I figured I must have missed something, and picked it up again, and haven't been able to put it down.  It is quite dense but quite enthralling.-wraith808 (August 07, 2018, 09:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
I had a false start with that too, I think because it opens on a scene of World War One-level carnage, with no explanation whatsoever.  Something must have grabbed me because I went back and finished it; also read the next one, Deadhouse Gates.  Erikson absolutely does not hold your hand.  I liked his description of the Crimson Guard mercenary army as "500 men and women in brown leather with not a single shiny buckle between them."  Much more realistic than the flowery heraldry and romanticised conflict you sometimes get in fantasy.

rjbull:
I am reading anything I can get by Clifford D. Simak.  Just fun SciFi.-MilesAhead (August 08, 2018, 07:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ah, takes me back...  Way Station, Time Is The Simplest Thing, City...  great stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version