ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (192/212) > >>

Deozaan:
This is a tangentially related bit of irony:

I went to download a paper on privacy called "I've Got Nothing to Hide" and Other Misunderstandings of Privacy by Daniel J. Solove, but since the website detected that I was using an anonymous proxy, they tried to get me to register for an account so they could track me, and made me complete the reCAPTCHA three times when I insisted on clicking the (almost hidden) link to continue downloading anonymously.

rjbull:

Fourth in Phil Rickman's series of crime + supernatural novels featuring Merrily Watkins, Church of England deliverance minister (what used to be called an exorcist).  Useful commentary on this series to be found on Philip Grosset's Clerical Detectives Web Site, specifically at The Rev Merrily Watkins page.

rjbull:

The first two novels in Jeffrey E. Barlough's 'Western Lights' series.  Quoting the Wikipedia article on Jeffrey E. Barloughw:
[...] author of several dark fantasy novels that comprise his Western Lights series, set in an alternate world in which the last Ice Age never ended. [...] where Victorian society exists alongside prehistoric beasts. The books are written in a style reminiscent of 19th century authors that has often been referred to Charles Dickens mixed with H. P. Lovecraft. His stories portray eccentric and (mostly) likable characters set within detailed locations that, on the surface, seem mundane and sometimes even cheery, but sinister plots and presences are slowly and carefully revealed.
--- End quote ---
I've never read Lovecraft, but I see the Dickens.  And these are most definitely dark fantasy - very, very dark, especially in the case of the bleak The House in the High Wood.

Official Website of the Western Lights Series

wraith808:
Two more down in my book challenge for 2018.

Skinwalker by Faith Hunter

I'd heard good things about the series, but the beginning made me think that they were wrong. She uses a lot of glue words, and they slow down reading. The dialog of the Beast is quite gimmicky. But as I read, and was caught up in the backgrounds and mystery, my reservations faded. It became enjoyable instead of a chore, and the story was quite good. I'm not sure if I will continue the series, but it was an enjoyable read, and I am considering more of the Jane Yellowrock books- more for the characterizations and background than anything else.

--- End quote ---

Skyborn by David Dalglish

It started out slowly, though it rapidly picked up the pace, and enthralled me with the story of flying islands far in the sky and their winged protectors. I'd thought it predictable, but it took an unexpected but welcomed turn into other territories. I'm looking forward to the next book to continue the story!

--- End quote ---

rjbull:
The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovich:

A novella, not a full novel, in the "Peter Grant" a.k.a. "Rivers of London" series.  I suppose he more or less ties up the loose ends, but it's a potboiler  <grump>  Doesn't make sense unless you've read the earlier full novels.  And this is just me, but I didn't like the inclusion of an interview with the author, either.  An author revealing too much about his/her approach and beliefs (or lack of) is apt to undermine my ability to maintain willing suspension of disbelief.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version