ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (84/212) > >>

TaoPhoenix:
@TaoPhoenix: I tried out the Scientific and Text Doc Viewer you referenced. Excellent program. Thanks for the tip!  :up:
-kyrathaba (March 29, 2013, 05:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

You bet. I haven't really tried hard to build a list of mobile format books yet. It's just nice that when one does show up, it's readable.

Meanwhile: So we already have 7 document formats already, and they needed to invent 5 more for mobile?! Bleh.

kyrathaba:
Transcript of Guy Gavriel Kay's responses to many readers in an interview on the Goodreads.com website on 4/30/2013:

I will upload as .txt file...

40hz:
@kyrathababa - out of curiosity...what did you think of Kushiel's Dart?

I've had trouble making up my mind about that one. Even after a second read. :huh:

kyrathaba:
@kyrathababa - out of curiosity...what did you think of Kushiel's Dart?
--- End quote ---

@40hz. To be honest, the author's prose is thickly woven, if you take my meaning. She's obviously got a huge vocabulary and is highly intelligent, but it's one of those novels you really have to concentrate on while reading. I have temporarily laid it aside at 12% done, in order to take up the ten-book Abyssal Plague series. I just started Under The Crimson Sun, the 7th book. The correct reading order for this series is:

01. The Gates of Madness
02. The Mark of Nerath
03. The Temple of Yellow Skulls
04. Oath of Vigilance
05. The Eye of the Chained God
06. Sword of the Gods
07. Under The Crimson Sun
08. Shadowbane
09. Last Legend of Gedrin Shadowbane
10. Chosen of the Sword.

I'll have to get back to you on my final opinion of Kushiel's Dart. What did you think of it?

40hz:
I'll have to get back to you on my final opinion of Kushiel's Dart. What did you think of it?
-kyrathaba (April 30, 2013, 05:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

"Purple prose" aside? (I have a large vocabulary and I very much like James Joyce and Henry James so I don't have a problem with dense writing styles.) Truth be told, I haven't decided if it's actually a clever fantasy story; or yet another example of an exercise in "grad school eroticism" masquerading as a scifi/fantasy novel.
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version