ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (72/212) > >>

40hz:
^I've been dorking with Que's WordPress In Depth the last few weeks.

Be forewarned - it isn't.

I'd call it more like "WordPress for the clueless." And I'm very disappointed since most of the In Depth titles have been quite good in the past.

This book feels disorganized. But that may well be because WordPress itself is rather disorganized - besides being mostly written in pHp - which (from my admittedly limited experience with it so far) has to be the single most sloppy, poorly implemented, and sprawling of any scripting language.

There's nothing in this book you couldn't get by looking around online or reading the official Codex.

Not recommended. :down:

kyrathaba:
pHp - which (from my admittedly limited experience with it so far) has to be the single most sloppy, poorly implemented, and sprawling of any scripting language.
--- End quote ---

+1. When I used PHP for my online Hangman Scoreboard in NANY 2011, it was nightmarish. I kept thinking, I am just so novice a coder that this stuff seems difficult, or is this stuff that ugly?

40hz:
^thx for that. Any time I have a real conceptual or design issue with a language I always worry it's probably just me.  :tellme:

mahesh2k:
Ironically it is the only thing that gets things done quickly. Look at all the forum, blog and portal software coded in php.

Python, ASP and ROR are horribly slow and complicated for novice people to deploy. Just want to say whatever you to learn, avoid sitepoint and wrox books, hardly anything to be learned from these books.

Reading a lot about GIT by the way. I have to use the learned stuff on some fork from github.

kyrathaba:
Since we seem to have gotten off on programming languages, here's my pipedream: a freeware software writing IDE that has the elegance of C# with its breadth of functions, produces fairly compact executables that are truly portable (such as with AutoIt).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version