ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (63/212) > >>

nosh:
I've picked up Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead once again. I'd abandoned it years back, I remember it being interesting but a similar scenario played out in the story once too often and I lost patience. Hope to complete it this time... (once I get through all those missed Breaking Bad episodes.  ;D)

40hz:
@nosh - I have serious misgivings about Ayn Rand. Probably because I've known far too many otherwise smart people who swallowed her 'arguments' lock stock and barrel. And I personally consider The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged to be two of the more dangerous (and not in a good way) books ever penned. Right up there with Mein Kampf and most of the works of Nietzsche. (Please don't ask me what I consider to be the the most dangerous books ever written. :nono2:)

By all means read her novels.

But if you find yourself too readily buying into her Objectivist Philosophy, do yourself a favor and read this and this afterwards.

:Thmbsup:

f0dder:
(Please don't ask me what I consider to be the the most dangerous books ever written. :nono2:)-40hz (August 29, 2012, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
There's two of them, isn't there? (Perhaps three, if you consider the first book to consist of and old and a new part).

40hz:
(Please don't ask me what I consider to be the the most dangerous books ever written. :nono2:)-40hz (August 29, 2012, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
There's two of them, isn't there? (Perhaps three, if you consider the first book to consist of and old and a new part).
-f0dder (August 29, 2012, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes two. One consisting of an old part and a new part, plus its "next generation" sequel. Put them together and they've probably provided the 'rationale' and the 'justification' for more bloodshed and suffering than anything else ever written.
 8)

nosh:
Thanks 40, I'll bear that in mind. I've been curious about objectivism for a while now, because it gets referenced from time to time in pop culture.

otherwise smart people...
--- End quote ---

Looks like I have the upper hand here. ;D I didn't get "the most dangerous books" part till I read f0dder's comment... see what I mean? There's atleast one other book in that genre that I consider equally dangerous.

Thanks for the links too. I'll come back to them once I've heard what Ms.Rand has to say.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version