ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (14/212) > >>

zridling:
"Erotic western" and "western thriller" don't compute! :)-f0dder (February 18, 2010, 06:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's why you have to read the review. The book is badddddd. So bad, it's good.

Perry Mowbray:
Michael Connelley's penultimate effort, "The Scarecrow" (very good),
-Darwin (February 18, 2010, 02:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

We enjoyed The Scarecrow too; though it got very mixed (almost polarized) reviews on GoodReads.

parkint:
I have been challenged, by my wife, to read every one of the books in my massive collection (just over 150) of Isaac Asimov literature.

I am [re]reading Robot Visions.

Among my favorites are:

* Nightfall
* The Centennial Man
* I, Robot
* The End of Eternity
* Both his autobiographies

slowmaker:
Non-fiction
Currently reading the advance uncorrected proofs of 'Are the Rich Necessary?', by Hunter Lewis (found in a thrift store some time ago, so they are no longer 'advance' at all).
It's okay; I have not read in the economics field before, so I can't compare it to other works, but it has convinced me that some things I previously considered self-evident might not be true at all. It has also convinced me that economics is a seriously vague and muddled subject.

I had begun sporadically working through Ronald Mak's first go at 'Writing Compilers and Interpreters' (quite old), then got sidetracked by the discovery of this site and beginning to work through the Basic section of the DC Programming School. I'll probably get back to that soon.

The last remaining book in my current to-read stack at home is 'Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid'. I started it once before, because it just felt like one of those books I should be ashamed of not having read if I want to keep my nerd cred, but put it back down (don't remember why). Hopefully I'll get to it soon as well...

Fiction
One of the old collections of Van Vogt (SF writer from way back, once famous for writing 'Slan'). I'm away from home right now, so I can't look in my read-and-going-to-pass-it-on box to check the title, but I think it was either 'Destination: Universe!' or 'The Book of Van Vogt'.

On the somewhat newer (by my standards) front, I thoroughly enjoyed 'The Cabinet of Curiosities' by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. The Aloysius X. L. Pendergast character in particular is the kind I enjoy, i.e. hyper-intelligent and eccentric.

On a side note, I have to admit to being impressed by some of the titles mentioned in this thread; Darwin and Mouser in particular appear to be reading at a level that makes my selections look like 'Thinner thighs in Thirty Days'.  :Thmbsup:

TucknDar:
I have been challenged, by my wife, to read every one of the books in my massive collection (just over 150) of Isaac Asimov literature.
-parkint (February 19, 2010, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---
:o that's quite an Asimov collection, indeed! I've only read "I, Robot", which I really liked, btw. I've got a few more that I want to read eventually.

Currently reading "Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carrol

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version