topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: What books are you reading?  (Read 678567 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: What books are you reading?
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 09:13 AM »
Crush, maybe you should make a game for NANY 2010?

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 09:54 AM »
I have too less time to make a game right in time. But I plan a little game. I bought a few weeks ago Robot Maker and it would be funny to convert this very addictive game to a 3D-game. Do you really prefer to see a game as a NANY entry - not my DocMerger project?
I´m still working sometimes on my 3D-Engine. At the moment it doesn´t supports bone-animations - so all looks very static.
Here are some pictures, but don´t think I made the first one today (can you find my beloved dog I lost 2 months ago?)... I did the X-Cat-model 1 month ago without knowing that I´d show it to you  ;D
X-Cat.jpgWhat books are you reading?
landscape.jpgWhat books are you reading?
Landscape3-env.jpgWhat books are you reading?
Naked Metalwomen
Youtube Rotating Car Animation
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 10:19 AM by Crush »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 03:42 PM »
I just finished Meg Rosoff's How I Live Now and was completely amazed by the story - and by the fact that this book is categorized as young adult fiction.

From the book: “Every war has turning points and every person too.”

howilivenow.JPG

The story revolves around a teenage American girl sent to live with her cousins in England shortly before global war breaks out and England becomes an occupied country.

Rather than serving up another predictable 'post-apocalyptic Mad Max' story, Meg Rosoff actually comes very close to portraying what I'd imagine 'quiet war' and enemy occupation would be like in the 21st century.

A enigmatic and quietly frightening book about war and its consequences. Especially for the young.

8)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 04:20 PM »
Hey - sounds like my kind of book, 40hz  :Thmbsup: Thanks for bringing it to my attention. If I can stay awake long enough to finish my current book, I'll order "How I Live Now" from the library  ;D

SteveJohnSteele

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Books? Wow do they still make them things?  :D

Ive opened a few PDFs recently does that count?

Ive been trying to get all my paperbacks in PDF format, then get the PC to read them to me hehe  :P

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 07:07 PM »
Books? Wow do they still make them things?  :D
-SteveJohnSteele (November 09, 2009, 06:55 PM)

Yes. They do...  :)

Ive opened a few PDFs recently does that count?

No. It doesn't...  :P

Ive been trying to get all my paperbacks in PDF format, then get the PC to read them to me hehe  :P

Now that sounds like an interesting idea.  :Thmbsup:

But I was thinking of maybe first trying to find an attractive woman who loves to read aloud, and having her over for tea... Oh wait! I've got one of those already. ;)

Sure beats buying AudioBooks at Barnes & Noble! ;D

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2009, 12:55 AM »
I'm currently reading through The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and it's becoming more and more evident that I am not a highly effective person... yet!

kishjeff

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2009, 07:11 PM »
cryptonomicon by neal stephenson. seems amusing so far.

Olgeva

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2009, 11:57 PM »
I read the book Hawthorne N. The Scarlet Letter. " Normally

Thought it might be nice to have a thread where we could talk about what books we are reading and share thoughts and recommendations, etc.

This week I finally started going through Chris Bishop's "Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning":
http://www.amazon.co...istics/dp/0387310738

(see attachment in previous post)

So far i'm really liking it, though its more heavy on math and lacking in higher-level discussion than i would like.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2009, 12:25 AM »
Finished reading Smart Networking by Liz Lynch
To me books that attempt to teach relationship or networking skills always lack something and it is not a fault of the author. For someone to be able to do all they teach one must already be able to jump the greatest barrier, ie the first and initial step to get into the door.

Olgeva

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 10:18 PM »
Always interesting to know how people live in other countries. I read the book "Dolores Claiborne" writer S. King. Perhaps it should have another name for "Love on the American" :hanged:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2009, 12:42 PM »
Just finished William Kotzwinkle's The Bear Went Over the Mountain.

Dumb as the plot premise may sound, Kotzwinkle somehow manages to pull it off. One of the few books I've ever read that made me laugh out loud a few times - which greatly disturbed a pair of snooty women sitting one table over from where I was reading it. That alone would have made it worth it for me. >:D

Great book. And a really fast read. Perfect thing for a train ride or plane trip - or for freaking out the occasional snob at your local bookstore coffee shop!  :mrgreen:

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

BWOTM.jpgWhat books are you reading?

From Publisher's Weekly: ...Kotzwinkle has imagined a disconsolate Maine professor, Arthur Bramhall, who sets out to write a bestseller, only to have a bear steal it, thinking it's something to eat. This is no ordinary bear, however; he has aspirations to becoming a person (they eat so much better, and with much less trouble, than bears do). What better way to establish an identity than by becoming a celebrity novelist? Soon, the bear has found a pseudonym, Hal Jam, an agent and a publisher. With his distinctively masculine presence, and a monosyllabic way of talking that reminds many of Hemingway, he's on his way to stardom with a novel that everyone agrees has its roots deep in the natural world. Soon, he has a Hollywood agent, too, and the admiration of a Southern writer whose specialty is angels; both of them succumb to Hal's exuberant love-making (since a bear normally does it only once a year, a lot of libido is saved up). A pillar of the Christian right wants Hal's support for a run for the presidency, and Hal is only too willing, since he thinks "candidacy," like most words he doesn't know, means something to eat. Meanwhile, Bramhall, ... is turning into a bear as fast as Hal is becoming human...

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:53 PM by 40hz »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 02:20 AM »
Ugh, it took me three and a half months to finally get around to finishing reading the book i started in October (Chris Bishop's Pattern Recognition and Machine Learning).. I definitely would not recommend it for cover-to-cover reading, but as a reference textbook book it would be an excellent source.

Next up has to be something more focused on big picture stuff, and less on algorithm details.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 03:40 AM »
Just finished "Battle Royale" and started reading "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". I'll read "Through the Looking Glass" next, to be fully prepared for Tim Burton's version of the tale  :Thmbsup:

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 06:54 AM »
Just finished (for the 2nd time) Andy McNab's, Bravo Two Zero,

Had to read it again as I want to read his follow up book and realized I had completely forgotten what was in this one haha

momonan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 08:26 AM »
Just finished listening to Nassim Taleb's "The Black Swan," poking holes in most probabability theories and generally making fun of their proponents.  He emphasizes the randomness and effect of extraordinary events.  The reader of the audio version has a real sarcastic edge, which makes otherwise dry material quite amusing.   See him before congress on the stimulus program:  http://www.youtube.c...&feature=related

It made a lasting impression on me, but I'd be curious what other think about Taleb's approach -- not to mention his trouble-making style.  Trying to see how his theory might fit into my everyday life.
When you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning - Catherine Aird

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 05:12 AM »
I'm reading Full Catastrophe Living.
It's boring, but thankfully it came with a very effective class I took, recently: Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR).

I'm also reading 2 David Lieberman books which have titles too embarrassing to post - which is too bad, because they're simply about human nature, & how to turn bad (or potentially bad) situations around. Each book has a chapter on a certain dilemma - how to make people feel more empowered, stop gossiping, get into a better mood, feel more confident, etc. Another book is based more on groups & how to get people to get along with each other, stop jealous behavior & verbal abuse, cultivate respect for themselves & one another, help each other out, etc. They're quick, easy reads that attempt to simplify complicated situations or destructive behavior between people - even difficult people - all without hurting anyone, or being secretly, selfishly manipulative.

I think it's good info for people like myself, who enjoy very much getting along with others, but who've found themselves holding back constructive empathy or helpfulness out of fear (or experience) of getting taken advantage of, later on. Perhaps these quick solutions can help others like myself promote harmonious relationships, and express kindness and caring, while still being heard and respected.

(Sorry, it's late. I guess that could've been worded a little better, huh?)

Good night!!!  :)
-Sarah

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2010, 10:15 AM »
I'm also reading 2 David Lieberman books which have titles too embarrassing to post - which is too bad, because they're simply about human nature, & how to turn bad (or potentially bad) situations around.

?? How can a book title be too embarrassing to post?!  :o

You're among friends here, let 'er rip!

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2010, 01:13 PM »
I'm also reading 2 David Lieberman books which have titles too embarrassing to post - which is too bad, because they're simply about human nature, & how to turn bad (or potentially bad) situations around.

?? How can a book title be too embarrassing to post?!  :o

You're among friends here, let 'er rip!

Because the titles, "Get Anyone to do Anything" & "How to Change Anybody" sound pretty desperate. IMO.

They're really just harmless little books. Just, you know, tips & tricks...
Other than to catch your attention, I don't know why he titles his books so dramatically.
There's no hypnosis, NLP, mind control tactics, spells or anything like that.
I need something that will work this time  ;D .
-Sarah

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Heh, heh - sorry to have badgered you into confessing that, Sarah  ;D Seriously, though, I don't think the titles are that  embarrassing  :P

I'm a father of two, a husband, and I've spent a fair amount of time in middle management - I know all about the desperation that comes from trying to get others to do things!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 02:08 PM »
I know all about the desperation that comes from trying to get others to do things!
Managed it quite well with Sarah, you sly devil!  ;)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2010, 02:08 PM »
Hmm, let's see... of the last ten books I read, five were re-reads (Roger Zelazny's "Chronicles of Amber"), three were Dean Koontz novels, and the other two were Roger MacBride Allen's "The Ring of Charon", and Richard Kadrey's "Sandman Slim".

I'm still in the process of reading the Borland Delphi Language Guide, and the Inform 7 Handbook by Jim Aiken.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 02:12 PM by kyrathaba »

SKesselman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2010, 04:41 PM »
I know all about the desperation that comes from trying to get others to do things!
Managed it quite well with Sarah, you sly devil!  ;)
-cranioscopical (February 07, 2010, 02:08 PM)

Cranio,
Your deliverance of my social naiveté was hardly necessary...
You don't have to dig too deep to see how few of these clever skills I actually possess.
Otherwise, why would I succumb to to the temptation to buy these books in the first place?
-Sarah

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Here's the book I'm planning to start on next week:
http://www.amazon.co...ience/dp/1405122889/
Screenshot - 2_7_2010 , 4_47_16 PM_thumb.png

I'm a very big fan of Randy Gallistel ("Organization of Action" and "Organization of Learning" are very much under-appreciated in neuroscience community i think).

Anyone who wants to read along with me is welcome to order it and discuss; haven't seen the book in person yet so i can't vouch for it's quality ahead of time.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2010, 07:53 PM »
You don't have to dig too deep to see...
The elegant social skills that I have witnessed you deploy here belie your words.
Swaying a few others to your ways would be worth a book or three!