ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (194/212) > >>

MilesAhead:
I am reading anything I can get by Clifford D. Simak.  Just fun SciFi.-MilesAhead (August 08, 2018, 07:50 AM)
--- End quote ---
Ah, takes me back...  Way Station, Time Is The Simplest Thing, City...  great stuff.
-rjbull (August 15, 2018, 03:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

Speaking of old times, remember those scifi paperbacks with two novels and a book cover on each side?   :D

rjbull:
Third in Jasper Fforde's Bookworld series, described by various reviewers as inspired lunacy, unashamedly silly but marvellously intelligent, full of clever wordplay, literary allusions and bibliowit;

If you like books - a lot - this series is great fun.

SpoilerThe cover art is an artist's rather inaccurate rendition of Miss Havisham from Dickens' Great Expectations] trying to set a speed record in one of Sir Malcolm Campbell's between-wars aero-engined cars in a race against Mr. Toad from Kenneth Graham's The Wind in the Willows... and owing to changes in local government boundaries, the Cheshir Cat is now the Unitary Authority of Warrington Cat.

wraith808:
Erikson absolutely does not hold your hand.  I liked his description of the Crimson Guard mercenary army as "500 men and women in brown leather with not a single shiny buckle between them."  Much more realistic than the flowery heraldry and romanticised conflict you sometimes get in fantasy.
-rjbull (August 15, 2018, 03:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am definitely seeing this.  Many times I read before going to bed to wind down- this is definitely not a book for that!  You have to engage your mind more than with most fiction these days, and I love it!

rjbull:
Books four and five of Emma Newman's Split Worlds quintet:

Quoting critics: "A unique blend of urban, historical and crime fantasy clothed in a Regency veneer."  "Dark magic, darker fae foes, family feuds."  "Takes on class and gender dynamics."

Emma Newman also writes SF, but I haven't yet read any of those.

rjbull:
Speaking of old times, remember those scifi paperbacks with two novels and a book cover on each side?-MilesAhead (August 15, 2018, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

No!  I'm in the UK, and that may be why.  :(  Cover art was a problem for me in itself.  I never bought, say, Analog as a teenager, worried I think about the flak I might get others seeing the lurid covers...  I must have missed out on a lot of good stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version