ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (56/212) > >>

sword:
Half through, "THINKING, FAST AND SLOW" by DANIEL KAHNEMAN.

kyrathaba:
Just finished the first book in the Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson -- Mistborn: The Final Empire.

I'm most of the way through the second of the three books.  Pretty entertaining!

40hz:
Just finished reading, and then re-reading Dragonfly by Frederic S. Durbin. (Yes. It's that good.)

If you like books like Ray Bradbury's October Country, The Halloween Tree, or Something Wicked This Way Comes (all highly recommended BTW) you'll enjoy this book too. It's the quintessential Halloween story narrated by a young "10 going on 11" girl named Bridget-Anne - although everybody calls her Dragonfly.

Dragonfly lives with her Uncle Henry, her town's slightly odd but marvelously wise undertaker:

With characters and a setup like this, how can you possibly go wrong?

This book ended up being a complete surprise. What at first seems to be your basic supernatural "save the world" adventure ends up being a very unusual and poignant coming of age story. Well worth a read although you might want to save it for Halloween week in order to get yourself immersed in the full atmosphere of the story.

(Note: with thanks to M.M. who recommended it and is my adviser on all things related to YA fiction.  :mrgreen:)

MerleOne:
Hi,
I am about to finish the installment # 6 of "The Plant" by S. King.  I think I started the series about 10 years ago...

Deozaan:
I can't remember if I mentioned this already or not, but I recently read the Hunger Games trilogy. I think it was back in January when I read them.

I loved the first book so much that I pretty much read it and the following two books in a single sitting. There may have been a bathroom or food break somewhere in there, but other than that I did nothing but read those three books from start to finish.

The first book was the best. The second book surprised me but made me like the protagonist a bit less. The third book was the worst, IMO, mostly because:

minor spoilerin that book the protagonist was almost completely unlike how she was in the first book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version