ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (51/212) > >>

kyrathaba:
I've recently finished the third and final New Crobuzon novel by China Mieville, Iron Council:

For anyone who hasn't read these novels, I recommend them highly.  You should probably read them in this order:

[*]Perdido Street Station
[*]The Scar
[*]Iron Council
[/list]

Now, I'm reading the first of four novels in The Age of Unreason series by J. Gregory Keyes: Newton's Cannon

Just as some foods are quite calorie-dense, this book is dense in terms of witty conversational repartee and thought-provoking reflections on life.  Keyes is quite skillful in portraying this alternate history.

kyrathaba:
Finished Newton's Cannon, and have begun the sequel.  I give Newton's Cannon 5 out of 5 stars.  Fantastic!

IainB:
I am currently re-reading The Deming Method, by Mary Walton and Out of the Crisis by W. Edwards Deming.
Great books, both.

tranglos:
Just finished War Is a Lie by David Swanson, amazing book. Even if you already know much of the facts, seeing them all compiled into a cogent narrative is a big red pill everyone should swallow once.

Now reading Unequal Protection by Thom Hartmann

Kindle editions all, since I have no more space on my shelves.

And re-reading Howard Zinn's A People's History, because I'll be translating it into Polish (gulp!). The first time Howard Zinn will be published in Poland. I have a year to complete what looks like a three-year job to me, and this is in addition to my regular work. I don't think I'll be submitting much of anything for NANY 2013 :)

40hz:
Finished Newton's Cannon, and have begun the sequel.  I give Newton's Cannon 5 out of 5 stars.  Fantastic!
-kyrathaba (October 03, 2011, 08:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ah! The Age of Unreason series. Excellent books! (Second book: A Calculus of Angels is even better!) :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Interesting in that what they're calling 'alchemy' bears many strong relationships to quantum and particle physics in our world. In the end, does it really matter if it's a subatomic particle, a juxtaposition of dimensions, or an 'angelic' power that makes something work - as long as it works?

Not as crazy as it used to sound.

I remember going to a lecture where 'electron spin' got mentioned. The lecturer took pains to point out that what are called particles aren't really what we think of as physical particles. I remember his saying something like " Spin is a way of thinking about it. It's not like there's actually an object that's spinning down there."
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version