ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What books are you reading?

<< < (31/212) > >>

edbro:
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. Beautiful writing.

40hz:
@kyrathaba: I'm pretty sure it's one or the other. Which is one more reason why I don't have, or plan on getting, a Kindle. I have too much money invested in paper to be willing to re-buy all the stuff I'd want on it.

Besides... I like the idea of owning and having complete control of my library. With a Kindle it's more like you're renting. You're only licensing the limited right to read something - and that right is subject to change at Amazon's discretion.

Yoiks!!!

kyrathaba:
You're only licensing the limited right to read something - and that right is subject to change at Amazon's discretion.
--- End quote ---

Does that mean Amazon could deny me the ability to read something I've paid for and downloaded?

Darwin:
You're only licensing the limited right to read something - and that right is subject to change at Amazon's discretion.
--- End quote ---

Does that mean Amazon could deny me the ability to read something I've paid for and downloaded?
-kyrathaba (December 05, 2010, 01:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes! It's already happened. Of course, I can't remember the titiles involved, but there was a stink earlier this year about it...

EDIT: It was actually over a year ago, involved two George Orwell titles, and Amazon has vowed not to repeat it: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10290047-56.html

kyrathaba:
Thanks for that link, Darwin.  I read the article.  It appears Amazon was trying to act in compliance with the law, and that they have subsequently changed their own internal policy (and perhaps their arrangement with third party suppliers) to prevent a recurrence.  I sure hope so.  I was relieved to learn that they did at least refund the purchase cost of the revoked downloaded materials.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version