topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:08 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Dcuppdater.exe crashes multiple times daily in W7...  (Read 36135 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Dcuppdater.exe crashes multiple times daily in W7...
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 06:48 PM »
it was very tricky to track down, and looks like it was from a component library i've used a lot.  it's code to enable drag and drop of files onto the form.  the code reroutes windows messages on start up using a call to SetWindowLong:
 SetWindowLong(TargetWnd,GWL_WNDPROC,NewWndProcedure);

Which basically reroutes windows messages for the target wnd element to new function -- that's what lets the code handle drag and drop onto a target form UI element.

And it seems that for whatever reason, on win7 some messages are getting sent to that rerouted function in the middle of destruction, when the new code/object is being torn down and no longer exists.

The solution was simply to un-reroute the windows message procedure before any destruction -- not sure why that was not being done before except that it didn't seem to make a difference before.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 06:53 PM »
The new version also includes a rebuild of the libcurl library, which i built using visual studio 2003, since it seems to be the last visual studio that will build static dll that doesnt require the ms runtimes that are missing in older windows versions (do i have that right?)

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 06:10 AM »
Sounds like the component are making unsafe assumptions - handling messages wrongly, or doing stuff in it's destructor that it shouldn't. If WIN32-API window teardown happens as a result of destroying a C++ object, this situation could very well happen.

The new version also includes a rebuild of the libcurl library, which i built using visual studio 2003, since it seems to be the last visual studio that will build static dll that doesnt require the ms runtimes that are missing in older windows versions (do i have that right?)
Visual Studio 2005 is the last version that produces binaries compatible with NT4 and Win9x. The 2008-and-later C/C++ runtimes (even if statically linked) refers to some stuff that isn't present on those early systems... I wonder if this is something MS deliberately did to help kill off those systems, or if there's a valid reason why something as basic as the C/C++ runtimes should suddenly use fancy-pants API calls.
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 06:15 AM »
Ah visual studio 2005 supports win98, that's good to know, then maybe i will upgrade to that on my vmware that i use for such things.

I did notice this interesting project which seems to claim it can make visual studio 2008 apps build for win98:

http://www.legacyextender.com/

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2009, 07:12 AM »
Ah visual studio 2005 supports win98, that's good to know, then maybe i will upgrade to that on my vmware that i use for such things.

I did notice this interesting project which seems to claim it can make visual studio 2008 apps build for win98:

http://www.legacyextender.com/
There's also some freeware version I stumbled upon, but it didn't work for me... and at any rate, you could always track down what the changes are and recompile the CRT yourself... would of course requite a little work, but it wouldn't cost you a dime.
- carpe noctem

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2009, 10:57 PM »
mouser,

One thing I have noticed is that my startup errors with Windows 7 are not only due to dcuppdater.com. I posted previously that my newly installed Windows 7 was sometimes starting with explorer.exe unresponsive and causing me to have to either restart again or log off and on again. I had noticed that whenever this occurred there was a large number of the dcuppdater.com AppCrash errors listed in the Event Viewer. However now that I have disabled dcuppdater.com from auto-starting I still see the same explorer.exe problem at startup on occasion. Further research shows that my nvidia graphics card driver may be the cause. I had not noticed that before because the error shown in the Event Viewer shows during the previous shutdown rather than at the restart.

I am thinking about dropping back to the previous nvidia driver release to see if that helps, since nvidia - as usual - is not commenting on this error at all even though a lot of their users are seeing it.

So even though dcuppdater.com WAS indeed throwing the AppCrash errors, I do not believe that they were the cause of the non-responsive explorer.exe upon startup problem.

Thanks!

Jim

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 03:55 AM »
i'm going to make this new version the official latest version if there is no further objection?

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 12:41 AM »
I tried the new version and it did not crash in Windows 7 (64-bit). So it looks good to me.

sttrebo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 09:03 AM »
i've been getting this error recently.  not sure what has changed on my system (work computer, our it dept. will push down updates and changes without my knowledge).
i only get this error intermittently, can't seem to reproduce this with any sort of reliability.

AppName: dcuppdater.exe    AppVer: 1.0.0.0    ModName: libcurl.dll
ModVer: 7.19.7.0    Offset: 000102d4

dcupdater v1.26.01, windows xp sp2