ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anybody else playing with Wave?

<< < (6/10) > >>

40hz:
Clueless Tech Desperately Seeking Insight

OK...

Perhaps I'm dense, but I don't see what the buzz is all about just from reading/viewing Google's promo pieces.

So far, Wave strikes me as a mash-up of existing technologies. Something like a digital whiteboard meets MediaWiki meets Facebook meets Twitter.

Still, I'm guessing there might be synergies somewhere in there that I'm missing by not being involved. Maybe with Wave, you can't really "get it" until you have some hands-on experience.

So could some of the DoCo participants who do have some "hands-on" bring the rest of us up to date on their initial impressions? And possibly discuss how they see Wave fitting in with (or possibly replacing) the tools we're using now?

JavaJones:
Well, a couple of us are in there "Waving", heh. It's a bit confusing and hectic. People can see your typing *as* you type, so they see your typing speed, typos (before you correct them), etc. It's interesting. You can also have massive threaded conversations happening in realtime, so someone may be responding to a post way up above in the thread while you're responding to something else. Now it does mark things as unread, so you can find them, but to do that so far it seems like you have to "scrub" through the "wave" with the slider on the right. I don't see a "jump through unread messages/edits" thing. Also you can edit yours or anyone else's post (no way so far I see to mark something as not editable by others - needed feature IMO), but when you do edit, it just marks the post unread, it doesn't highlight what was edited which IMO would be helpful.

So far it's very interesting, but I really don't see a useful place for it in my workflow. It just seems too scattered, or at least too easily scattered. If you had disciplined, smart, fast people using it, they could use it effectively as a very powerful collaborative tool, but you'd really need a commonly agreed upon organizational approach, for one thing. Part of the value as well as the challenge of "Wave" IMO is that it doesn't enforce this so much. There are fewer "rules" than there are with email, chat, forum, etc.

One thing I know almost for certain: this will not catch on on a large scale if it stays like this. It's just far too scattering and hard to manage for most people. To say nothing of its practical utility in the workplace. Most people I know can hardly manage nonrealtime email communications, let alone this crazy multi-threaded thing...

- Oshyan

app103:
I am sitting here staring at Google Wave with a totally clueless look on my face.  :huh:

I kind of agree with a lot that is posted here: http://easiertounderstandthanwave.com/

If someone wants to add me and perhaps enlighten me as to why this is so "great" feel free to add omgplzstfukthx [at] googlewave.com

Kamel:
i definitely do not agree with that website app, complicated things are excellent, when the complication is necessary. Unnecessary complication, however, is just clutter and confusing.

app103:
Well for me, I understand "The Geopolitical Climate of Southeast Asia" better than MySpace, so it's not saying much that couldn't be applied to Google Wave, as well.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version