ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

10/GUI

(1/11) > >>

Mark0:
Just seen a link on reddit about this. It's an idea about a new take on windowing systems and general interaction with computers.
Take a look at the video / demo:

http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2009/10/13/10_gui/

Bye!

tomos:
Looks very interesting,
I thought when they started talking about linear organisation of windows that they would be stacked something like this:
http://smarthistory.org/

10/GUI

(which could fit in well with their ideas)

Did they talk about where the keyboard would go though? If their 'touch interface' goes where the keyboard normally would - it would have to double as a keyboard too?

Another thing that I would miss would be the ability to have say two windows one side of the screen and one on the other - but neatly filling the screen - a la GridMove. This hasnt really been considered I think.

Still, some great ideas there.

Mark0:
Did they talk about where the keyboard would go though? If their 'touch interface' goes where the keyboard normally would - it would have to double as a keyboard too?-tomos (October 13, 2009, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, they show it near the end of the video. Think about a laptop keyboard, with an oversized trackpad.

tomos:
okay, at the very end of the video they showed a keyboard with their 'touch interface' in front of it like a large touchpad - also not very user friendly (I have to admit I stopped the vid before it was quite finished - the music was doing my head in)

[edit]  ooups! just saw this
Did they talk about where the keyboard would go though? If their 'touch interface' goes where the keyboard normally would - it would have to double as a keyboard too?-tomos (October 13, 2009, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, they show it near the end of the video. Think about a laptop keyboard, with an oversized trackpad.
-Mark0 (October 13, 2009, 09:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

40hz:
Really really interesting concept. I hope it makes it to the prototype stage. I'd love to give it a try.

Combine the core concepts with a smart changeable graphic touchpad (OLED once the prices come down ;D) and I think it would be an absolute winner. I'd configure a sector of the panel to be a context sensitive control surface based on which application was open, much the way high end drawing tablets can have 'soft buttons' configured for specific apps.

Just think. No more arbitrary menus you always have to "reach" for and open. It would almost be like those nifty LCARS touchpad/keyboards you've seen on StarTrekNG.

10/GUI

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version