ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Snow leopard bug causes erasure of users home directory

<< < (2/3) > >>

Innuendo:
The worst thing, besides users losing their data of course, is that Apple has known about this bug since September 12th and there still isn't a fix available.

40hz:
The worst thing, besides users losing their data of course, is that Apple has known about this bug since September 12th and there still isn't a fix available.
-Innuendo (October 13, 2009, 05:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably because they're still waiting for an answer back from the people who actually wrote the OS.

(If they followed a more open approach to OSX, it would have been patched no later than the 14th.) :P

nite_monkey:
Want to lose all your data? There's an app for that.
-Innuendo (October 13, 2009, 10:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
rotfl I love that!  :Thmbsup:

Innuendo:
Probably because they're still waiting for an answer back from the people who actually wrote the OS.-40hz (October 13, 2009, 05:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, I don't know. Microsoft's OS is probably just as complex as Apple's and MS can get a patch out in just a few days when it's severe. I'm not saying that's how quickly MS would react if something like this happened on Windows, mind you. I'm just saying they have the ability to act fast when they need to & I would have thought Apple would have this capability as well.

Another troubling thought is that I thought OS X was built on top of BSD, a very mature and secure OS. How did this get past the BSD layer?

40hz:
Another troubling thought is that I thought OS X was built on top of BSD, a very mature and secure OS. How did this get past the BSD layer?
-Innuendo (October 15, 2009, 02:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's believed the problem lies in the way OSX deals with the guest account. OSX is set up to automatically delete any files found in the guest account's home directory once the guest logs out.

That's not a bad idea actually.

Purging the guest directory eliminates the risk of having something left behind that can screw up the system. It also guarantees each person who subsequently logs in as a guest gets their own "clean set of sheets" so they're not put at risk either. Minimizing risk is the entire point of a having a guest account to begin with.

From what I understand, apparently something happens in OSX if you logout of a regular account and then log into the guest account. Because if you logout as guest after that - and then immediately log back into your regular account - that's when the glitch occurs.

Somehow, the files in the regular login's home directory get purged along with the guest's. That's an Apple original if there ever was one.

That gremlin has nothing to do with BSD since the same thing doesn't happen in BSD. Or Linux. Or Windows. Or... :P :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version