ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

My text file manipulation needs

<< < (5/7) > >>

forkinpm:
Hallo Jody!
Thank you for the prompt response.
I'll try the new version and get back to you.
Thanks again, forkinpm.

gpetrant:
I don't think your tasks are as simple as they might seem, but there is a commercial product which can easily handle all of them:  Textpipe  However, it's expensive and has a relatively steep learning curve (read: how familiar are you with regular expressions?).  My suggestion: if your task at hand is a 'one shot deal' (read: only needs to be done once and that's it), then go for the excellent solutions offered here.  If not, consider the onetime purchase of Textpipe an investment which will pay off in spades if you're planning on doing more text manipulation work in the future.  (And, no, I'm not affiliated with them whatsoever; I'm just a customer.)   

forkinpm:
Hallo Jody!
Let me begin with a thank you.
Next, there are still a few wrinkles with commas, apostrophe 's and a colon.
Lastly, there are more additional tags than I had expected, but the decision was the right on.
I am reworking the sentence text to remove the wrinkles and additional keywords and building the next steps.
The script will have only minor changes and the next script will have as its first task removing the additional tags.
I would like to do it with user interaction. You will see.
The new script tasks will be:
1. Segmenting the English sentences
2. Resequencing into the German order and
3. Adding the head-word markers for translation.
The result of this step will be the pre-final version of the script.
The final version will be the translation step. That says I must have the dictionary ready or at least a test version which covers all of the words in the English texts and their German equivalents.
The definition I am putting together now will be ready by mid-day tomorrow Wednesday 21 October.
The test vserion of the dictionary to produce a relatively complete translation model script, I will do my utmost to have ready 7 days later.
Regards, forkinpm.

forkinpm:
Hallo Jody!
I had promised to let you have the document by midday today, but I am still not ready.
I will work on it until moidday tomorrow and then send it, with a statement as to when the full document will be ready.
I do apologize that it has taken longer than promised.
Regards, forkinpm.

forkinpm:
Hallo Jody!
I had promiserd to give yopu this by midday today, but better late than never.
There is a zip with four files attached.
Though the work is still not complete, you will see from the files that it is getting there.
The 4 files are:
1. NewTestWordsTags.rtf listing the tagged sentences and showing two issues
1.1. Simple changes to reflect taking {'s}, {:} and a missing word {cities} into account
1.2. The additional word tags, which will require a step to remove them.
Perhaps this can be accommodated in the segmentation step.
2. A note on the steps.
3. TestResult.rtf indicating how I am taking the tagged sentences through the next steps. I will add my comments when I send a final update tomorrow.
4. Notation+SentenceMods1.html.
You will see how the rules are being defined on the basis of a logical notation for each segment.
So good luck until tomorrow.
Thanks and regards, forkinpm.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version