topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Wanted: Web Banner Maker (Between MS Word and Gimp-Inkscape)  (Read 10289 times)

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My girlfriend designs web banners in MS Word and then doesn't understand why she can't output them in the sizes and formats that the webmasters want. She doesn't understand that you can't just start with a letter-sized document and draw a box (that isn't measured in pixels, but inches and isn't the right height to width ratio, etc.) and start designing away. I always have to end up reverse engineering it and redesigning it in Gimp or Inkscape or Paint.NET.

I am wondering if there is some software out there that is specifically focused on building web banners in the standard sizes and formats, and has an easy-to-use GUI. I do a web search and a million show up, but most just look like overpriced copies of Microsoft Paint and cost $50+ USD.

What I am looking for is something that doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a Photoshop/Gimp program (as those aren't needed for simple web banner design) but has things like built-in web banner sizes, measurements in pixels, text tools with things like drop-shadow, clipart tools, grid positioning system, alignment tools, defaults to transparent backgrounds, etc. The things you would use to build banners without worrying about fancy photo\image manipulation.

I am willing to pay money for something that hits the sweet spot. The less time I need to spend learning how to use it and reteach it to her, the better. The more is uses the same paradigms as Microsoft Office products, the better.

Thanks for your help in this. You folks always seem to find just what I need.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Wanted: Web Banner Maker (Between MS Word and Gimp-Inkscape)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 06:54 PM »
So far the leading contender is Banner Maker Pro.

[attachthumb=#1][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#2][/attachthumb]

[attachthumb=#3][/attachthumb]

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 07:31 PM »
We have a winner!

I showed my girlfriend the video tutorials of Banner Maker Pro that show the basics and a few things she said were, "It looks soooo easy." and "It's made for idiots like me!".  :P

So based on that feedback I went ahead and made the purchase. I think it will be money well spent.

hamradio

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Amateur Radio Guy
    • View Profile
    • HamRadioUSA.net
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 08:10 PM »
Also not for web banners but for buttons if you ever need it is something similar don't know how frequent it is updated tho...DeKnop.

They also have a css buttons program which I do not know how good it is...CSS-BuMa.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:54 PM by hamradio »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 06:03 PM »
tinjaw, how profitable a business is banner making? (that is if you're a total newbie)

I guess I find it weird that someone would pay for a banner making app and would feel the payment justified.

I'm really ignorant of the subject but I guess I used to think that if you encounter such problems like these then it's sort of a hallmark of the artist's skill level.

Maybe I misunderstood and your girlfriend is really a top notch digital artist who just happens to not know how to measure and resize banners.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 06:19 PM »
it's not a matter of not being able to make banners manually, as much as it is trading off the time required to use a banner making program vs. the time required to create one manually.

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 06:24 PM »
She doesn't sell banners. She sells physical goods. But she needs to make banners to put on other sites in standard internet advertising sizes that advertise her site. And it is much easier, and quicker, to use a simple focused program then to learn to use Gimp/Photoshop.

We are very pleased with Banner Maker Pro and I recommend it to anyone who has a need similar to ours.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 06:29 PM »
Thanks for the clarification tinjaw and mouser.