ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Wndows Home Server as a SOHO business server. Your thoughts?

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
You can get a decent generation old server (with a 1 year warranty) from the company I mentioned earlier and most (not all) come with a valid SBS COA (no media, but that's not too hard to find) for $600-$800.
-Stoic Joker (October 08, 2009, 06:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, definitely a good time for picking up decent hardware for a song. One fellow tech I know just scored a decent dual-CPU HP server (minus disk drives) but with manuals and driver CDs at a cost of exactly zero!

Somebody had apparently vacated an office suite, yanked the disks, and did an "abandon in place" decommission on the rest. My buddy was working for the people in the suite next door. The building manager let him have it (along with a beefy APC Smart-UPS and a box of miscellaneous goodies) in return for the effort needed to remove them from the building.

Not bad. About $1200-1500 worth of stuff, just for making three trips out to his car with a handtruck. :Thmbsup:

Shades:
Here I have an old(!) Pentium II 350MHz 196MB RAM old 'clunker' PC that runs SBS and Exchange (windows 2000 based) in Google server style (as naked as you want it to be)...

That PC is one of the most stable and trouble free systems here. And it's performance totally exceeds my expectations.

So I totally agree with Stoic Joker, if you install only the parts of what you need from SBS it is stable and really does not require (much) hands on time.

Stoic Joker:
Not bad. About $1200-1500 worth of stuff, just for making three trips out to his car with a handtruck.
-40hz (October 08, 2009, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Where the hell am I when this kind of thing happens  :( lol

Oh I forgot to mention if you decide to try STI call them as their website is a bit of a work-in-progress and generally not up-to-date inventory wise. They'll happily customize anything you want.

@Shades - 196MB RAM for Exchange? Zoiks! ...You're a brave man.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version