topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Actual Multiple Monitors on Bits du Jour Oct 9th  (Read 2750 times)

tranglos

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Actual Multiple Monitors on Bits du Jour Oct 9th
« on: October 03, 2009, 10:04 AM »
Bits du Jour will be featuring Actual Multiple Monitors on October 9th. This is one of several components that together make up Actual Window Manager (my mini-review is here).

You don't need it then if you're already using AWM, but otherwise, if you work with more than one screen, this should be a useful tool. It will display the taskbar on all monitors, optionally adding the Start button to each, and let you rearrange taskbar buttons by dragging. (The notification area is not affected and always stays on the main screen). Probably my favorite feature though is the option to show the Alt+Tab task switcher on all monitors - no more turning head to find where the switcher is. There are hotkeys and title bar buttons to move windows from one monitor to another, etc. The complete feature list is here.

And of course, DonationCoder's 50% discount on the full Actual Window Manager is still here.

(Note: Actual Window Manager also has a feature whereby you can define windows that should always open at a specific position and size on a specific monitor. I use it e.g. to always open PDFs maximized on my secondary screen, which is rotated to vertical - really useful. I am not sure if this feature is fully available in Actual Multiple Monitors. The feature list mentions setting up rules for your favorite apps to choose which monitor displays the certain program at startup, but that may not include controlling window size and position. You can always ask on the BdJ discussion board.)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 10:07 AM by tranglos »

Actual Tools

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Actual Multiple Monitors on Bits du Jour Oct 9th
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:12 AM »
tranglos, thank you for keeping us afloat at DonationCoder.com! :) Some comments to your detailed enough post.

1. For now, Actual Multiple Monitors doesn't provide the feature to set up the exact position/size - the monitor only.

2. The next version will provide the fully functional support of main Taskbar's toolbars on secondary taskbars, the ability to re-arrange icons by the mouse in the main system tray and, very likely, the fully functional system tray on secondary taskbars. Everybody who purchases AMM now will get the next version (and all above-mentioned features) for free.