topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:03 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Google steals the Web  (Read 14210 times)

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Google steals the Web
« on: October 08, 2009, 12:16 AM »

scancode

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I will eat Cody someday.
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Google steals the Web
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 12:30 AM »
http://code.google.c...efeat/downloads/list

Sidewiki blocker, GPLv3'd

(http://talkbiz.com/blog/what-to-do-about-sidewiki/ seems to be reccomending a pay-to-download script)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:53 AM »
interesting.. i don't know if i agree with everything the author of the post says -- but i'm getting more and more disgusted with google trying to own every corner of the web.

SKA

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 01:25 AM »
scancode is right - this site http://google-toolbar.blocksidewiki.com/  offers a PHP script for USD 46/-

Is there really a market for this ?

SKA

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 04:38 AM »
The thing I don't get is whether most of the issue of theft comes from it not being opt out and because it's Google or is there an additional major problem that I just don't understand?

The concept of commenting on sites have always existed. Even Social Media does it to an extent and there are sticky note programs like Diigo where any attacker can bookmark and post a sticky note with a critical message.

It seems hypocritical from marketing people who have utilized and took advantage of all forms of social media to better market their products to suddenly say it's a bad thing if anyone can comment on their site.

...or maybe I just got caught up by all the sensationalistic themes and comments that I ended up over-thinking the article and the comments that followed. I understand it's a grave issue but I personally feel more worried about Google Docs, Google Bookmarks, Google Notebook and Google Wave than SideWiki.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 05:37 AM »
The blog entry is a bit sensationalist/typikal-amerikan, but I do agree with it - while there might not be evil intent behind, the thing certainly has a lot of potential for doing evil. Especially because it's massive google behind it, and there's a botload of sheeple who don't even know they've got google's toolbar installed.

Even if you ignore the "it can be used to hurt marketing" part out, there's imho enough ways this can be abused.
- carpe noctem

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 06:12 AM »
ToDo ASAP: Add Kill SideWiki script to all personal & company websites.

I'm really starting to hate Google for crap like this.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 08:46 AM »
random comments of unknown others spray-painted on my fence, or the window of my business
Bwahaha! Somebody pull him out of his cave!

I like the concept - (no more signing up every time I want to say something, no more "We're Lifehacker - you can't just comment here, you need to qualify first!") - but how the hell will they moderate this monster? An easily abused system will not just be bad for the site owners, it'll hurt Google too... or will it?...

Reg. blocking toolbars: how long before Google/whoever comes up with a solution that isn't browser-based?

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 10:27 AM »
I'm inclined to agree. I guess if it were opt-in it'd be ok.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 10:31 AM »
I'm inclined to agree. I guess if it were opt-in it'd be ok.
Yeah - but if it was opt-in, it would be uninteresting and not very useful for google :)
- carpe noctem

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 10:44 AM »
Ha true. I'm sure there are advertising laws which prevent just this type of situation. The UK to the best of my knowledge has very good laws for protecting people for example.

Applying them to the internet though is a very different story.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 11:20 AM »
Ha true. I'm sure there are advertising laws which prevent just this type of situation. The UK to the best of my knowledge has very good laws for protecting people for example.

Applying them to the internet though is a very different story.

Applying a law is seldom the problem.  Enforcing one almost always is. :-\

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 11:24 AM »
I am very pleased with not having anything from Google installed ;-)

BlockSideWiki

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 04:16 PM »
 SKA,
  Yes there is a market for it .. I am the developer of Block SideWiki, I created it because the javascript solutions do not fully protect you and that sidewiki defeat does not even detect the google toolbar which means all urls are changed and could damage your seo...

I can provide you with a 50% discount + earn cash and prizes - I am giving away 2 entire niche blogs to 2 of my lucky customers.

James

scancode is right - this site http://google-toolbar.blocksidewiki.com/  offers a PHP script for USD 46/-

Is there really a market for this ?

SKA

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:26 PM by BlockSideWiki »

BlockSideWiki

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 04:35 PM »
 Curt,
  You do not have to have it installed for your competition, child molestors, warez users, and etc to post comments on your sites...

James

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 05:57 PM »
   I can provide you with a 50% discount + earn cash and prizes

- sorry, but such an offer just tells me that the price was too high in the first place.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 06:09 PM »
You do not have to have it installed for your competition, child molestors, warez users, and etc to post comments on your sites...

Hitting all the "hot button" phrases aren't we? Especially the "child molesters" part.

Why is it that so many people who want to sell you something web related always seem to feel the need to wedge the child molester bogeyman someplace in their sales presentation? Are there that many frightened and technologically challenged parents and school officials out there that people still get away with using this argument?

---

@BlockSideWiki - could you add a little more to this discussion than just dropping a thinly veiled sales pitch?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:13 PM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 06:12 PM »

- sorry, but such an offer just tells me that the price was too high in the first place.

@Curt - MilesAhead made a similar comment a few days ago in this thread: ;D

I noticed a similar thing about devices/programs/products/services .. if you give the thing to the person for nothing, they'll never stop griping.  If you charge them a month's salary, then wow!! It must be valuable!! After all, look how much they paid for it!!  :)

Somebody told me the way to make a customer happy is double the price, then give them 10% off.   ;)

But here, you're being offered 50% off + the chance to earn cash and prizes!!! Might be a good deal... (Doh!) :eusa_dance:

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 06:19 PM by 40hz »

BlockSideWiki

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 06:23 PM »
 I am not trying to post a sales pitch but facts.. Some sites have already had the child molestor thing done. I created Block SideWiki because of the damage it can do and has already done. The js solutions do not protect your site or your reputation.

Many sites have already suffered at the hands of what google has done and the fact that this is our sites and not googles, gives google no right to have comments posted on the "side" of our sites. This is borderline illegal what google is doing and many of us will not stand for it.

I created a 50% discount because it is posted on a paid for special offer on a forum.

James

Hitting all the "hot button" phrases aren't we? Especially the "child molesters" part.

Why is it that so many people who want to sell you something web related always seem to feel the need to wedge the child molester bogeyman someplace in their sales presentation? Are there that many frightened and technologically challenged parents and school officials out there that people still get away with using this argument?

---

@BlockSideWiki - could you add a little more to this discussion than just dropping a thinly veiled sales pitch?

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 08:54 PM »
random comments of unknown others spray-painted on my fence, or the window of my business

I like the concept - (no more signing up every time I want to say something, no more "We're Lifehacker - you can't just comment here, you need to qualify first!") - but how the hell will they moderate this monster? An easily abused system will not just be bad for the site owners, it'll hurt Google too... or will it?...

Reg. blocking toolbars: how long before Google/whoever comes up with a solution that isn't browser-based?

I don't think it's completely no sign-up. From what I understand, you still need a Google Toolbar.

-40hz

Shush! This guy's the next Steve Jobs.  :P

@BlockSide Wiki

I'm kidding but IMO this is normally the wrong audience for these kind of comments. It really does come off as a sales pitch.

A specific link would probably help when making such grand accusations. (Social proof and all that)

Not saying I understand the entire DC community though. Just my ignorant guess.

BlockSideWiki

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 12:32 AM »
 Hi Paul,
  The reason why I would not post links because that just aches on the problem and that is the last thing I wish to do. I built a solution to help stop all the spamming and foul comments before other sites do suffer.

James

I don't think it's completely no sign-up. From what I understand, you still need a Google Toolbar.

-40hz

Shush! This guy's the next Steve Jobs.  :P

@BlockSide Wiki

I'm kidding but IMO this is normally the wrong audience for these kind of comments. It really does come off as a sales pitch.

A specific link would probably help when making such grand accusations. (Social proof and all that)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 02:31 AM »
Curt,

James

I am not trying to post a sales pitch but facts.. Some sites have already had the child molestor thing done. I created Block SideWiki because of the damage it can do and has already done. The js solutions do not protect your site or your reputation.

Many sites have already suffered at the hands of what google has done and the fact that this is our sites and not googles, gives google no right to have comments posted on the "side" of our sites. This is borderline illegal what google is doing and many of us will not stand for it.

I created a 50% discount because it is posted on a paid for special offer on a forum.

James

---

James

---

Hi Paul,
  The reason why I would not post links because that just aches on the problem and that is the last thing I wish to do. I built a solution to help stop all the spamming and foul comments before other sites do suffer.

James

-40hz

Shush! This guy's the next Steve Jobs.  :P

@BlockSide Wiki

I found a button named 'quote', but now I cannot remember what I wanted to say.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 03:04 AM »
@BlockSide Wiki

True, but unfortunately that's the pay-off with using such terms that can be perceived as sensational and adding to a sales pitch.

It's too late now anyways but it was just a suggestion.

Maybe you can ask mouser to move your comments in the Deals section so it comes off as less spammy for future readers.

BlockSideWiki

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 02:39 PM »
 Hi Paul,
  Have not even checked out the rest of this forum.. My stats notified me my link was posted here so thought I would come look .. :D

When I get some time I will look at the forum more. I am a developer + I run many websites and deal with many customers so I do not always have the time to look around.

Thanks,
 James

@BlockSide Wiki

True, but unfortunately that's the pay-off with using such terms that can be perceived as sensational and adding to a sales pitch.

It's too late now anyways but it was just a suggestion.

Maybe you can ask mouser to move your comments in the Deals section so it comes off as less spammy for future readers.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 07:14 PM »
Are there that many frightened and technologically challenged parents and school officials out there...

Could be.

Off Topic: Top 20 Passwords of compromised webmail accounts:
from http://komando.com/t...ps/index.aspx?page=3

"Experts from Acunetix, a Web security company, analyzed the stolen log-in credentials. Here are the 20 most common passwords from the list.

1. 123456
   2. 123456789
   3. alejandra
   4. 111111
   5. alberto
   6. tequiero
   7. alejandro
   8. 12345678
   9. 1234567
  10. estrella
  11. iloveyou
  12. daniel