ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > fSekrit

Beta: fSekrit 1.40 needs some abuse!

<< < (2/8) > >>

mwb1100:
When using fsekrit at work I get some minor problems because the McAfee stuff they use here has an Access protection setting for programs that run from the temp directory:

C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE   C:\Documents and Settings\userID\Local Settings\Temp\fSekrit-225C.exe   Common Standard Protection:Prevent common programs from running files from the Temp folder   Action blocked : Execute
--- End quote ---

It's not a big deal, because right now it's just set to log, not to actually block anything.  However, it does show up in the logs, so it appears that I'm running malware infected (or otherwise questionable) stuff.  It would be best if that could be avoided.  I wonder if the following might be possible without too much effort:

- allow a command line option, registry setting and/or ini file setting that tells fsekrit where to put the temp file.  Still default to the temp directory (which allows portable, no-install use), but let the user override if desired.

Thanks for a nice little tool.

f0dder:
insertnamehere: ah, the read-only option is something that I had forgotten about, but which has always been "a slight bit" quirky :-[. Good that you mention it, it's a thing I really should iron out before going to non-beta, because it's clearly unintuitive right now (I just played around with read-only a bit, and found it pretty confusing - did manage to produce a read-only document though, but don't ask me how :P).

Guess I'll have to test the font picker a bit more, it's pretty simple code so wouldn't have expected it to go wrong - I'll test on XP and Vista tomorrow.

mwb1100: it makes sense to be suspicious about running out of %temp%, but damn some of those HIPS thingies annoy me :) - adding a registry setting should be a pretty quick fix, as long as you don't ask for a GUI option for it ;)

insertnamehere:
Haha alright, sounds good. I'll play around with it some more on xp pro sp3 x86 and see how it compares to the results I got on my laptop running vista business. I asked about the read-only thing just because I wasn't quite sure what the intended function was - whether it's supposed to produce a read-only file or just keep it read-only for that session.

Let me know if there's anything in particular you would like me to test. One thing I haven't tried is running it under server 2003...

Aha! Same deal with the fonts on my desktop running XP. This happens both with a new unsaved file as well as one that has been saved and has had no changes made to it. Tested with and without highlighting the text (probably a moot point).

Beta: fSekrit 1.40 needs some abuse!

Stoic Joker:
Guess I'll have to test the font picker a bit more, it's pretty simple code so wouldn't have expected it to go wrong - I'll test on XP and Vista tomorrow.
-f0dder (October 29, 2009, 06:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't have access to a Vista machine at the moment, but I can confirm the no fonts error in XP x86 (VPC). However running on my main Win7 pro x64 machine it loads the fonts just fine (come to think of it...isn't that what you're running also?).

Update - Server 2008 is close enough to Vista (i think) and it gives the no fonts error also.

f0dder:
-f0dder (October 29, 2009, 06:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't have access to a Vista machine at the moment, but I can confirm the no fonts error in XP x86 (VPC). However running on my main Win7 pro x64 machine it loads the fonts just fine (come to think of it...isn't that what you're running also?).-Stoic Joker (October 29, 2009, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yep, it is - I'm probably just filling a structure slightly wrong, missing a flag or something. Adding the selection dialog was a 10-minute job, didn't think it would be necessary testing something that simple rigorously on several systems :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version