topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:09 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: UltraRecall discounted on BitsDuJour.com today (2009-10-07)  (Read 9390 times)

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Ultra Recall is today (Wednesday) on BdJ, at 62% discount.  Question is : go for pro or standard ? There is usually a $50 upgrade fee, but today std is at $19 and Pro at $39.  Any recommendation ?  Thanks.
.merle1.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: UltraRecall discounted on BitsDuJour.com today (2009-10-07)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 07:57 AM »
have you had a look at the comparison page -
I dont use UR myself but it looks to me like the Pro version has a lot of worthwhile advantages.
Tom

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 08:14 AM »
I dont use UR myself but it looks to me like the Pro version has a lot of worthwhile advantages.
Thanks, I have looked at this comparison, but I find it hard to translate into real situations, for many items (like "hoisting").  Even regarding Search capabilities, it's not obvious to see if it's a major difference.  Actually I was hoping that someone from DC is already using either version and could comment on this.
.merle1.

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Thanks, I have looked at this comparison, but I find it hard to translate into real situations, for many items (like "hoisting").  Even regarding Search capabilities, it's not obvious to see if it's a major difference.  Actually I was hoping that someone from DC is already using either version and could comment on this.

From the Help file :

Ultra Recall supports hoisting of the Data Explorer pane to temporarily limit the tree display tree to a subset of the entire tree hierarchy in the database.  The tree can also be unhoisted to show the entire tree again.  Any item except the root My Data item can be hoisted.

Hoisting and unhoisting are accessed via the Tree menu, toolbar, or keyboard shortcuts.  To hoist, choose Tree | Hoist on the menu.  If the root item of the tree is not the My Data item (house icon), the tree is hoisted.  Use Tree | Unhoist on the menu bar to show the entire tree, or use Go | Up On Level to unhoist one level.  If an item outside of the hoisted tree is navigated to, the tree will be unhoisted automatically.

Each tab can be hoisted to a different location, and hoists are persisted between sessions.

An option is also available to automatically hoist a Favorite when opening it.

Note: Available in Professional edition only.

I bought Ultra Recall Pro long time ago when it was discounted at BitsDujour  It is indeed a powerful program. But I hate to say that I only use a rather small subset of its features. It is not the program's fault; just that I have not invested the time to exploit it. Like owning a Ferrari and driving it only to the supermart.

So other than say that it is a powerful program, I cannot comment much further. You may want to have a look at the user forums to get an idea of what people use it for.

For US$20 bucks extra, I say skip the 3 or 4 Starbucks coffee and get the pro. There are some rather helpful powerusers at the user forum you can get help from.

Maybe reading this might help with the decision:

http://www.kinook.co...s=&threadid=4162
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:49 AM by patteo »

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 10:16 AM »
Thanks.  I think I also found something in favor of the pro version : behind my corporate firewall, only the pro version seems to be working, just for opening a simple URL...  I'll try one more time and report here !

Edited :  Now it's also working fine with the Std version...  Some glitch in our Internet access maybe.

Edited II : I have removed UR, with Revo Uninstaller, cleaned all possible references, re-installed the std version and guess what, it won't load any URL again.  Last time I had installed the pro version over the standard, saw that it worked, re-installed the std over the pro, and it kept working.  Maybe something is installed with the pro version that solves this.

Edited III : after a reset of my default IP parameters to Windows standards, reboot, all seem to work again with the Std version...
.merle1.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 12:17 PM by MerleOne »

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 01:11 PM »
There are some simple (but important) things that only the Pro version has.
Portable
Search text in imported documents
Encryption
Combining items/multiple selections for export/print etc

Unless you have a specific usage that doesn't need these, or you don't expect to use the prog a lot, then the Pro version is worth the extra price.

Whether it is really worth upgrading to v4 from v3, I'm not so sure - though it does bring compatibility with W7. Given that they had announced that they weren't going to develop UR any more, getting a new version and continued development is a good thing and they do need enough money coming in with it to make their work worthwhile.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Thanks.  I just ordered the Pro version.  I found also there is a much better display of .eml files.  Now I just have to understand how to use it properly, it seems to have so many possibilities.
.merle1.

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 03:39 AM »
It seems this offer had a nice success on BdJ, and the deal is still available today.  The learning curve of this tool is steep (for me), but it seems worth to take some time to master it.
.merle1.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 04:09 PM »
Whether it is really worth upgrading to v4 from v3, I'm not so sure - though it does bring compatibility with W7. Given that they had announced that they weren't going to develop UR any more, getting a new version and continued development is a good thing and they do need enough money coming in with it to make their work worthwhile.

I wondered why the installer I had gave an unregistered version on my new Vista laptop, until I discovered it was v4 and a for-pay major upgrade.  Kinook kindly pointed me to a v3 file, so I was able to get going again.  I was disappointed the BdJ offer didn't include a 3 to 4 upgrade.  Without an income now, I wasn't prepared to spend that much to update a program I've never (yet) got to grips with.  As you observe, they said they weren't going to update it any more, so I was surprised at a new major version.  But I was very grateful to get the old one back.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 06:17 PM »
The move to v4 has coincided with me starting to make much more use of it. And I've found something else in it I will use sometimes (auto import clipboard). I hope development will continue at a reasonable pace, though I'm not sure (yet) what more I want from it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 03:05 PM »
I hope development will continue at a reasonable pace, though I'm not sure (yet) what more I want from it.

I originally registered because I didn't like the way EverNote was going, and UR seemed a possible replacement.  In my experience, clipping from the Web isn't nearly as seamless as it is with EverNote.  However, it looks like UR offers many more possibilities for organisation of information.  I was beginning to wonder if I could use that to make bulletins in more graphical form than the plain text I used to use.  UR's royalty-free reader program might have been a useful extra, if I'd had to distribute knowledge bases.

crazylaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 06:34 AM »
Ultra Recall Standard is on boomerapp.com (by BdJ) at 100% discount after mail-in rebate for some days. During checkout, there is an alternate offer to get the Pro edition for $49 in lieu of the rebate.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 02:35 PM »
I wish they'd offer a lower-cost deal on the major version update   :(

crazylaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 08:41 PM »
I wish they'd offer a lower-cost deal on the major version update   :(

Me too, but I just got me a new notebook with windows 7 and had to have the new version. So instead of purchasing the update I bought a new version. At least I saved 1 $ by buying the new pro version instead of upgrading the old ;). An even cheaper solution for the pro version would be to wait for a new BdJ-offer for the pro version if they keep the 62% discount.