ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can't copy actual email addresses from Outlook.

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
Outlook always finds more ways to piss the living tar out of me.  I'm trying to copy a bunch of email addresses to use in another program.  All the recipients are already on one of my Outlook emails.  It's a mix of people on our Exchange server addressbook and other outsiders.  But if the person is in your addressbook already, there's no email address shown, only the name (since Outlook will process it later).  For the outsiders that are not in an addressbook, the full email is shown.  Now, I'm trying to copy all the email addresses to another program, so the name does me no good.  I need the actual flippin' email address.  Is there anyway to copy it easily using ctrl-c?  NO!!  I hate this shitty program.

First, I try to right-click and see if there are any convenient shortcuts there.  Nope.
Second, I double-click the name to see the address in the contact window.  It's there....but you can't ctrl-c copy it (because of the way it's selected).
The only way I've found it to work is to right-click the name in an existing email, choose "send mail", and copy the address shown...but you have to do it fast before it recognizes the address and converts it back to a name.

This program is the worst thing.  I used to rail on the system we had before (Novell Groupwise) but Outlook is worse. 

AndyM:
Not sure if all you need is just a list of email addresses, and I don't use Outlook, but...

could you export the address book to some kind of text file, maybe delimited so you could just load it in a spreadsheet and copy the relevant column?

superboyac:
Not sure if all you need is just a list of email addresses, and I don't use Outlook, but...

could you export the address book to some kind of text file, maybe delimited so you could just load it in a spreadsheet and copy the relevant column?
-AndyM (October 06, 2009, 12:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
I guess so, but that's a lot of work for just copying a few addresses.  I mean, sometimes i just want one address, but it's nowhere to be found even in the stupid addressbook.  Here, let me show you how stupid this ass-turd of a program is:
Here is an address from the Exchange server.  I open up the contact to see the details.  Now keep in mind that this is an EMAIL program.  So you would expect the email address to be prominently displayed somewhere in the contact details menu:

What the hell is that?!  In the far corner of the contact details, there is very unclear, odd way of showing the email address.  And it's not selectable, by the way.  You can't select the email and copy/paste it.  Just a stupid, crappy, shitty program.  

Carol Haynes:
Try creating an email to the person (you don't need to send it) and then in the To line right click and look at the properties. It should have the email addess listed but you can never tell with Outhouse.

Update: I am using Outlook 2007 and the email addresses are clearly shown on the Contact forms and are selectable.

Stoic Joker:
You forgot to blur the caption bar in your screen shots.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version