ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

At last: MP3 Lossless!!!

<< < (4/16) > >>

f0dder:
The format is still beta'ish; one would expect the tagging-thing to be dealt with at some point in time.-Curt (October 07, 2009, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
This wouldn't solve the fundamental problem (if skwire understood the specs properly), though - that a lot of existing programs would possibly have to be updated in order to not crash / eat up memory like crazy when dealing with mp3hd files.

So my guess is that MP3HD will excel with Classical music, as an example, but not with Rock.-Curt (October 07, 2009, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
All variable-bitrate compression formats depend on the input in one way or another - either by having a constant output filesize (and trying to "spend less bits on less active passages") or achieving different output filesize depending on the input.

Other than that, the example is plain stupid; any classical concert contains tons more dynamic tunes than any rock music concert ever, and should therefore also take up much more bits, I would imagine.-Curt (October 07, 2009, 03:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Don't know about that, but I expect it to depend very much on the compression algorithm. As I understand it, MP3 works by doing frequency analysis, and discarding frequencies we don't pay as much attention to, in order to achieve better bitrate for the more interesting frequencies... lossless codecs obviously cannot do this, so they work differently :) - I would expect classical music to achieve relatively small filesizes because there's silent passages and slow progressions, whereas rock, industrial, etc is often full-volume-all-the-time and has a lot of "harsh" sounds (shredding guitars, noise, whatever) that I would guess results in a larger bitrate requirement.

But I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to audio and audio compression, so I could be totally wrong :)

Curt:
- you're of course right, f0dder - I was thinking 'dynamic range' rather than 'dynamic average'. Classical music concerts have an extreme dynamic range, but a low dynamic average, so to speak.

kfitting:
This concept isnt entirely new... check out WavPack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WavPack).  They use two files to store the data.  Notice I'm not saying one method is better or worse, just giving another example!

40hz:
But as I said, I'll shut up.-Curt (October 06, 2009, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Please don't, it's always interesting to hear about new stuff, even if I'm not going to be a fan of it :)
-f0dder (October 06, 2009, 10:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

@Curt - Yeah, seriously. Don't.

I've read many of your other posts.

You always find neat stuff I'd never know about if you didn't bring it to our attention. :Thmbsup:

4wd:
Also I should say that half of the files listed at the previous link, are surround files!-Curt (October 06, 2009, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

MP3 Surround isn't really new, it's been around since 2004 as a standard, see here.

And I used to use the Aud-X MP3 Surround VirtualDubMod 1.6.0.0 and codec 2 or 3 years ago.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version