ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

At last: MP3 Lossless!!!

<< < (3/16) > >>

Hirudin:
11-Pink Floyd-High Hopes.mp3 - 48.6MB

And that's sticking to 192kbps MP3 quality for the non-lossless format :-\
...-f0dder (October 06, 2009, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
I wonder if increasing the bitrate of the traditional MP3 portion of the file will produce a larger or smaller MP3HD file. It would be interesting to see a 32 vs. 320 kbps comparison.

I'm still on the fence about this idea. I guess to me it probably boils down to how well they work with tagging programs. Encoding/decoding time will also probably play a large part in whether it's adopted or not.

skwire:
I'm still on the fence about this idea. I guess to me it probably boils down to how well they work with tagging programs. Encoding/decoding time will also probably play a large part in whether it's adopted or not.-Hirudin (October 07, 2009, 02:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Get this...the lossless part of this new format is stored in ID3v2 tags.  Can you believe that?  So, the short answer is that current tag editors are not going to be able to handle this new format very well.  The problem is that, by spec, an ID3v2 tag can be up to 256 megs.  Yes, megabytes.  In other words, the tag editor will have to rewrite all the lossless data on tag changes since ID3v2 tags are stored at the start of a file (yes, I know about padding).  Crazy design decision, methinks.

f0dder:
skwire: that's (a few steps beyond) borderline insanity O_o

skwire:
Yeah, no kidding.  Can you imagine the potential memory usage of a tag editor at that point?  I could be mistaken, however, but that's how I interpreted all the specs I could find on this format.

Curt:
The format is still beta'ish; one would expect the tagging-thing to be dealt with at some point in time.

About the size of the outcome; yes it surely relates to the music:

GenreHD Bit-rateFile-SizePop,Rock,Folk876 kbits/s26 MBJazz786 kbits/s23.5 MBClassical605 kbits/s18 MBAudio-Books474 kbits/s14 MB
So my guess is that MP3HD will excel with Classical music, as an example, but not with Rock.

Other than that, the example is plain stupid; any classical concert contains tons more dynamic tunes than any rock music concert ever, and should therefore also take up much more bits, I would imagine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version